subaru foresters? are they as good as they seem?

raleighrider21":3dbvxuhg said:
the gf isn't too happy about me having something more powerful than I already have but If needs must, I gotta haul 2 sisters and my brother around every now and again (micra too small) I need to do the odd bit of "light off roading" and ima need it to go through ALL weathers and still haul my bikes around and maybe tow a trailer once or twice a year.

You're young and just passed your test, right?

Just get a quote on insurance, before you shortlist a car. With that sort of age and experience (do you have any NCB, yet?) insurance is going to be a major factor in the cost of owning whatever you choose.

yer 18, just passed, were looking at a black box for first two or three years (I have a moped if I need to go out past 10pm wich is rare) and I don't drive like a prat, getting rough quotes of around £3k with my granddad as a named driver so its just affordable.
have been looking at other cars including the 2003 Vauxhall astra 1.3cdti wich would mean redoing my test in a manual but nothings hit what I need as good as the forester has, the insurance is affordable if I dig into my savings a little but sometimes it gets ridiculous !

The History Man":defl3cd7 said:
Not seen an auto. Do they still have the low ratio box?

Shame you need it quickly. Mine will be up for peanuts after Xmas fingers crossed.

No, no low ratio box on the auto. F:R drive is 90%front, 10% rear in normal driving but cuts to 50;50 when needed. You can do an electrical mod to flick a switch for permanent 50:50 but I never felt the need. I missed low ratio going down some steep slippery hills but never going up .

The History Man":1aohvzbg said:
Not seen an auto. Do they still have the low ratio box?

Shame you need it quickly. Mine will be up for peanuts after Xmas fingers crossed.

the one at the dealers is a auto, think theres one or two on ebay too. not sure on low ratio box not looked into it. needs to be sharpish as we are struggling with the micra with it being one of two cars in the household and the other one is the gfs constantly getting used to get her to/from work so mine is getting used as the household car pretty much. just not big enough.

raleighrider21":2cekponl said:
yer 18, just passed, were looking at a black box for first two or three years (I have a moped if I need to go out past 10pm wich is rare) and I don't drive like a prat, getting rough quotes of around £3k with my granddad as a named driver so its just affordable.
have been looking at other cars including the 2003 Vauxhall astra 1.3cdti wich would mean redoing my test in a manual but nothings hit what I need as good as the forester has, the insurance is affordable if I dig into my savings a little but sometimes it gets ridiculous !

All I'd say is it's an awful lot of money to chuck around on effectively, pretty old cars (and I haven't missed a certain resonance with the forum we're in...)

It's a very natural thing, for young people, especially when they've passed their test, and are suddenly free to roam with their newly found driving status, to want bigger, better cars. Thing is, at first, whilst you're young, with precious little experience, and actuarially a significant risk, insurance costs are pretty much huge. Do you really need to change for something bigger and better? Or is it a want, dressed up with reasons?

I only ask, because it seems like a helluva lot of money to piss away on insurance costs, for something you seemed reasonably content with not that long back.

If it is truly essential, then I guess it's just an expensive period for you - but otherwise, a more savvy, experienced head would say, "bide your time".

raleighrider21":1hjq7kys said:
After I sold the Turbo I bought a Berlingo :roll: . My insurance went up by 33% !
It's worth trying Adrian Flux, A -plan and others for quotes. Not all insurers see a Subaru as a potential get away car.

My first car. Cheap insurance even though I was living in finchley. Great for everything inc shares in shell.

Must be a modern equivalent? 740?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 125
i really do need a bigger car. id happily keep the micra if i really didnt need something with plenty more space and something that wont let me down. im not like most young people where bigger engine this more bhp etc is a must. i prefer practicallity, reliability and function over speed. i need the space for my two little sisters and my little brother so theyre not constantly bickering in the backseat over space, i need the space for all there crap they keep trying to squeeze into the micra that just doesnt fit. i want something i could potentially drive for the next 5-6 years without any major issues, something that can handle snow and ice etc. its all about practicallity. the forester seems to be the only car that will tick all of those boxes. going to give adrian flux a call in the morning as im with them for my moped insurance and i only pay £150 a year for that.

The History Man":3755atal said:
My first car. Cheap insurance even though I was living in finchley. Great for everything inc shares in shell.

Must be a modern equivalent? 740?

Worth a few bob now :cool:

Back