Overbury's Pioneer - Built in Bristol works like clockwork !

Re: Overbury's Pioneer - Built in Bristol runs like clockwor

Bryncrug72":3la1i4d4 said:
I fell in love with the Overbury's Pioneer 24 years ago when my mate bought a Campag Euclid equipped from Thornhill cycles, he let me have the frame six years ago but secretly regretted letting it go, then this came along and a deal was struck, he walked away with his frame and a box of NOS Euclid parts and I got another Pioneer!
Hurt a bit getting rid of my stash but I made him very happy and i'm stoked with this one!

there are couple of spots of corrosion but that's it, all the bearings run smooth, its got a full deore groupset, Biopace rings and Mavic Oxygen M6 rims, under a very dodgy saddle cover was a pristine white Rolls saddle.

Don't think the Scott AT4 bars really go so i'm going to replace them with a flat bar i'll use a Paul Duo lever for the brakes and a XT2 thumbie for the front, 66 Triumph Daytona is sending me a 7 speed gripshift which i'll flip upside down so I can run it on the left.
Swap the tyres for some splashbacks and it will do for now !

I'm torn between restoring the "clockwork" colour scheme or to replicate the 89 frame and forks but using candy red rather than silver.

What do you think ?

Personally, I don't think you can do wrong with this. It is kinda cool in the Orange and white, Purely due to the tensions at the time.
And I would imagine its a rare sight as it is these days.

But with this said, its a Dream come true for you, and "Paint is just a Veneer"......and for me its about what inspires you when you look at it, if you want paint it go for it. You can always take good quality close up pics of the fade depths and decal placements and go back to Original if you ever wanted too.

Ref Neils Paint comment and Mark from Argos.
No it wouldn't be easy to replicate, but they are more than capable, and there is very little they cant do and I have to add the Quality of work is exceptional.

I had the exact same thing said to me. But knowing Mark as I do, I took the trip and we worked out the best way forward. Not easy and it was a bit of a wait to achieve the result I was looking for, but the end result bowled me Over if im truthful.

They went the Extra mile for me, and I can tell you it wont be forgotten in a hurry.

If that's what you want after all the years of waiting, I say to hell with it......GO FOR IT...... :cool:

Apologise for those that have seen it, but given the Paint topic......., The bike Below is all thanks to Argos in Bristol.

Attachments

• bikes%203483.jpg
    bikes%203483.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 650
  • bikes%203491.jpg
    bikes%203491.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 650

xxnick1975":3phseyry said:
Also you have to try and get your mate to post up about his overburys with Euclid, as that looks pretty special too.

Agreed............ :cool:

sinnerman":pher8bes said:
How on earth could you for see this style of paint job coming into question.....?

Ah ha, now THAT is the question. ;)

NeilM":g1n0cp6f said:
sinnerman":g1n0cp6f said:
How on earth could you for see this style of paint job coming into question.....?

Not if you already know the answer, and pretty bad form id say. best we leave it there. :roll:

sinnerman":phk8ymk2 said:
NeilM":phk8ymk2 said:
sinnerman":phk8ymk2 said:

Not if you already know the answer, and pretty bad form id say. best we leave it there. :roll:

Shame there is no 'tongue in cheek' or 'just pulling your leg' emoticon.

I was there looking at and talking about a completely different bike, and Mark said that style of paint job is very difficult and was giving him a few sleepless nights.

Sadly the Bicycle trade is no bigger than a village my friend.
Like I said best leave it there.

The paint on that Dave Lloyd is fantastic, I have looked at Argos and Mercian, there is a restorer nearby in Redditch called Doug Pinkerton I'm going to take the frame there to get the corrosion sorted and touched up then have a long think about changing the scheme, I like the Orange and White, it does look really good in the flesh
I was originally thinking of the red and charcoal scales for the 89, but then went to the funeral of the chap ( who sold us our first mtb's) who originally painted the frame, his wife told me that he used to talk about it for years after, so it was decided I'd restore it to original and that's what Dave is planning to do with it, somewhere on it perhaps it might have "in memory of mick"

Bryncrug72":2yuf0g63 said:
The paint on that Dave Lloyd is fantastic, I have looked at Argos and Mercian, there is a restorer nearby in Redditch called Doug Pinkerton I'm going to take the frame there to get the corrosion sorted and touched up then have a long think about changing the scheme, I like the Orange and White, it does look really good in the flesh
I was originally thinking of the red and charcoal scales for the 89, but then went to the funeral of the chap ( who sold us our first mtb's) who originally painted the frame, his wife told me that he used to talk about it for years after, so it was decided I'd restore it to original and that's what Dave is planning to do with it, somewhere on it perhaps it might have "in memory of mick"

I have to be honest, that would be a lovely thing for you guys to do, and to my mind a fitting tribute too.

You shall have to keep us all posted with progress and updates for sure.

:cool:

Bryncrug72":32knh68g said:

+1 that would make a fantastic memorial / epitaph to the guy

out of respect for the previous owner of my humble Orange X1 (who loved it dearly) I had ARGOS apply his name before spraying on the clear coat...he's was really touched :p so much so he posted me the original bill of sale from 1996 and all the service receipts he had.... sadly if you do go down this route Mick will never know, but then again I'm sure if he's looking down on us you've already put a big phat grin on his face ;)

Nick

Attachments

• Original Owner Rowley Rear Stay .jpg
    Original Owner Rowley Rear Stay .jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 593

That's pretty cool, I like the way it's on the inside of the chain stay, I've spoke to Dave and it will happen, he's going to join and post up his project !
I'm going to see how much it will cost to just fix the paint on mine, then i can make the decision about a full restore, I've got a pair of mavic m231 rims which I want to use so I might look out for some xt2 hubs to build a new set of wheels.
Hopefully get both Pioneers ready for spring as I'm itching to get them muddy !

Back