Eroica's coming to the UK

I've just got a mail from them and apparently they have over 500 pre registers already. I wonder how many will actually stump up the £55.00 for a ticket ?

I guess it might appeal to the likes of Rapha hipster crowd in their faux-retro gear and like the ones in Italy with their faux-retro bikes with modern frames and components with old levers and bar-ends. Much that Tuscany has unsurpassed scenery, the Retroronde are making a far better effort to create a unique event rather than looking for a marketing opportunity for corporate types and pandering to the whims of sponsors. In the same time it takes me to drive to the Peak District I can drive to Belgium - where I can be assured I won't be a bonnet-ornament for some 4x4 driver convinced they own the road.

@monty dog

:oops: I've just bought a load of Rapha winter stuff, but I can assure you my steeds are 100% retro.

I guess I work in the media industry so my feet are placed firmly in all camps.

See you at the Retro Ronde then ;)

I pre-registered for this and to be honest I really thought a lot of the a retrobike guys would be up for it. I can see all the arguments against here and, yeah, I can see what a lot of you are saying. I'm undecided really. I was kind of thinking it might be nice to take the family to and make a weekend of it.
I dunno, I guess I will have a think..

hats the deal with Retro Ronde? Do you just turn up on the day? If I am looking at the right site it looks lime all the pre registrations are closed?

I think the pre register for the Retro Ronde is on the 1 November. There is a post on it here
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=274330

There seems to be a lot of negative comments about the UK Eroica and that's probably to do with the Eroica name/ franchise and their ambitions. I thought that a lot of people here would have been more positive but I guess folks would prefer to moan about it than turn up. I admit £55.00 is steep for the entry, but it is Britain after all.

Edit: Pre reg 1 December 2013

http://www.retroronde.be/en/166-news

Its a franchise?
News to me though I see that now.
Nope I bet the objections are based on price only. The same as for many other sportive.

You're right, price is mentioned a lot, but so is the targeting of the corporate market and the festival side of it, instead of it being a bike ride for bike riders which is what a lot of people lament.

Still disappointing that the organisers have not engaged with this topic.

I think what you have to ask is this a ride for retrobike fans run by retrobike fans ?? or is it being run for retrobike fans by someone who wants to make some big bucks ??
We have the same thing in North Wales with the Sportives that have sprung up being held, most cyclist think that they are making a good £60-£80000 profit on each one. I myself would not pay to ride around the roads where I live , but plenty of people do !!!

If it is a franchise then it looks like its for profit...

I am not quite sure why the word profit is bandied about as if it were the word c**t.

I have no issue with the organisers making a profit, big or little, provided I feel that I am getting good value for money.

If I were camping for three days with my family, attending the festival and taking part in the ride, at £55.00 I would think I was getting good value for money, as it is I just want to attend the ride, so although I have pre registered and am one of the first 500 to do so, I still have not made a definite decision whether to attend of not.

Latest posts

Back