Overbury's Pioneer - Built in Bristol works like clockwork !

Bryncrug72

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I fell in love with the Overbury's Pioneer 24 years ago when my mate bought a Campag Euclid equipped from Thornhill cycles, he let me have the frame six years ago but secretly regretted letting it go, then this came along and a deal was struck, he walked away with his frame and a box of NOS Euclid parts and I got another Pioneer!
Hurt a bit getting rid of my stash but I made him very happy and i'm stoked with this one!

there are couple of spots of corrosion but that's it, all the bearings run smooth, its got a full deore groupset, Biopace rings and Mavic Oxygen M6 rims, under a very dodgy saddle cover was a pristine white Rolls saddle.

Don't think the Scott AT4 bars really go so i'm going to replace them with a flat bar i'll use a Paul Duo lever for the brakes and a XT2 thumbie for the front, 66 Triumph Daytona is sending me a 7 speed gripshift which i'll flip upside down so I can run it on the left.
Swap the tyres for some splashbacks and it will do for now !

I'm torn between restoring the "clockwork" colour scheme or to replicate the 89 frame and forks but using candy red rather than silver.

What do you think ?

Attachments

• Paloma001.jpg
    Paloma001.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 4,830
  • Paloma002.jpg
    Paloma002.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 4,826
  • Paloma006.jpg
    Paloma006.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 4,824
  • Paloma005.jpg
    Paloma005.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 4,823
  • Paloma008a.jpg
    Paloma008a.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 4,823
  • Paloma010.jpg
    Paloma010.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 4,825
  • Paloma011.jpg
    Paloma011.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 4,828
Re: Overbury's Pioneer - Built in Bristol runs like clockwor

That is a really excellent looking bike.

I kind of like the idea of the new paint scheme, but I would advise you speak to a sprayer first, as I was talking to Mark at Argos last week and he told me it's a pretty difficult pattern to reproduce.

Whatever colour scheme you choose, you'll still end up with a cracking good Pioneer.

That looks very nice indeed. Can't wait to see it with some decent tyres.

There a guy on here that has a bunch of new smokes, that would look tasty on this, rather than the splash backs, if you are interested. £65 for a pair I think, which is more than sbs but, if you are talking about new paint then might be worth it.

Interested re you choice on shifters and levers as the mt62 that's on there is pretty nice, honest kit that doesn't really need upgrading, but you must like the set up as described, which is cool. Keen to learn more about it. Do you have another nice set up thus?

Lovely and original. If your thinking of changing the cranks and mechs, I know a pioneer in need..... ;)

NeilM":2ibfjful said:
Interested re you choice on shifters and levers as the mt62 that's on there is pretty nice, honest kit that doesn't really need upgrading, but you must like the set up as described, which is cool. Keen to learn more about it. Do you have another nice set up thus?

I only have one arm ! so as I want it to be a rider and I know it works the upside down gripshift lets me do the rear gears without too much effort and the Paul Duo lever is the nicest lever I've seen that can pull two cables, I know there are various adapters to pull two cables at once but I think this is the simplest.

This is my current set up using hydraulics.

xxnick1975":2ibfjful said:
Lovely and original. If your thinking of changing the cranks and mechs, I know a pioneer in need.....

I might ! not sure which i'm going yet but i'll keep you informed ! as for the tyres I could be interested can you pm me his details ?

Attachments

• IMG_2239a.jpg
    IMG_2239a.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 4,765

Oh I see. Makes sense now. You must be very strong to control a mtb with only one arm. Fair play

5672.gif

xxnick1975":1qthzmo2 said:
Oh I see. Makes sense now. You must be very strong to control a mtb with only one arm. Fair play

I fall off a lot !

NeilM":2alt9kir said:
That is a really excellent looking bike.

I kind of like the idea of the new paint scheme, but I would advise you speak to a sprayer first, as I was talking to Mark at Argos last week and he told me it's a pretty difficult pattern to reproduce.

Whatever colour scheme you choose, you'll still end up with a cracking good Pioneer.

How on earth could you for see this style of paint job coming into question.....?

Here's the thread for the smokes

viewtopic.php?t=257248

I had some last weeks, turned up in 2 days, perfect. Cheaper than the supplier in Germany that has them.

Also you have to try and get your mate to post up about his overburys with Euclid, as that looks pretty special too.

Back