Stan Saunders frame

Velo

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,anyone out there with much more knowledge of the cycle trade from the '60s,assist me with the builder of Stan's frames. The shop was S.E London on Anerley Hill SE 19 and vary close to the Holdsworth factory. I've purchased nn old frame which appears to be from early to mid sixties. I believe the shop closed late 60's or early 70's with Stan 'retiring' to Cornwall. Thanks for looking.

I was about to say there's still a bike shop at the top of Anerley Hill, but I got confused and it's at the other end of the high street at Crystal Palace which is Central Hill.

Sorry, that doesn't help much.

Velo":smt2idpi said:
Hi all,anyone out there with much more knowledge of the cycle trade from the '60s,assist me with the builder of Stan's frames. The shop was S.E London on Anerley Hill SE 19 and vary close to the Holdsworth factory. I've purchased nn old frame which appears to be from early to mid sixties. I believe the shop closed late 60's or early 70's with Stan 'retiring' to Cornwall. Thanks for looking.

I knew this area well throughout the 1970s, the Holdsworth factory was in Penge, actually SE20. The only shop I recall on Anerley Hill (SE19) was Ken Birds'.

Not heard of Stan Saunders.

Jon.

Thanks roadking for your input.you are correct that the Holdsworth factory was in Penge,over the Anerley Rd and a little away in I believe Lullington Rd. I used Stan's shop in the early 60's and I wonder when he packed in he may have sold it on to Ken Bird. I discovered motorbikes and ladies and lost touch. The shop in question was on the left as you approached the initial incline of the steep hill.

Velo":yyyaglj3 said:
Thanks roadking for your input.you are correct that the Holdsworth factory was in Penge,over the Anerley Rd and a little away in I believe Lullington Rd. I used Stan's shop in the early 60's and I wonder when he packed in he may have sold it on to Ken Bird. I discovered motorbikes and ladies and lost touch. The shop in question was on the left as you approached the initial incline of the steep hill.

Your description rings a bell..."on the left as you approached the initial incline"...I left the area in late 1981 (off to university) and have not returned since, I do remember the hill though.

You're correct about Holdsworth, and it may very well be that Ken Bird took Stan's shop over. I can check this out if you wish.

Jon.

Jonny69":hawgta7w said:
My first bike came from Ken Bird's :D

Interesting, have you still got it?

I am just about to begin the restoration of my late Brother's Bird, would be very interested in any recollections you have about the shop, and any photos of your Bird.

PM me if you wish.

Cheers, Jon.

Again thanks Jon,you can check the location out if convenient. I think any info can be useful,with regard to frame builders knowledge and of course there may be a link. My memories are of looking in the window as a 13 year old and yearning for all the Campag goodies. Happy and simpler times. Now reliving it thro' getting involved again and this great website. All the best Chris.

No problem Chris, I'll look into it, I'm interested in this part of London in any case as many of my own bicycles are from builders there - see my signature.

Nostalgia is good, simpler times yes - sound like my Dad (no bad thing).

Jon.

P.S I would be interested in seeing the frame.

Back