Toughest 90's steel frame you have ridden

Thankfully I have never had a frame failure personally although I have seen plenty through abuse and total misuse, (or accident).

I have to agree with the Saracen comment though, the early Saracens, Trekers and such like with double U brakes, Wow, not only were they substantial in there frame fabrications, I don't think I have ever taken any other British assembled bike out of a box and had it any better assembled than those early 90s Saracens. Exceptional.

My Early TBG Explosif seems to have taken a hell of a punishment and yet no a murmur of a problem in the last 24 years.

Bontragers, well they just do what they say on the tin, and never give up. Supple Forgiving and yet Strong in its makeup.

Roberts D.O.G.S B.O.L.O.X...., far more expensive and detailed in its make up, perhaps tipping the scales in terms of ride feel, weight and quality, and as you would expect from a Bespoke bike, Flawless. Even the Original Paint is bombproof. But then of its time it was spoken of being the Ultimate in steel, I guess the original Bike magazine testers original views have been born out from members here after 20years of use.

:cool:

TrevorKershaw":8rkqqin2 said:
Clockwork or P7, iwell any Orange bike really!!! :cool:

Oh man! I forgot about Orange. P7 and especially the C16R; my daughter has one that she rides everywhere, hard, and the bike just eats it up. My son has a P7 that he used at Mayhem this year to put in sub-hour laps. They are both superb bikes and highly underrated.

Not my experience, but I have seen articles in MTB mags where Kona Lava Domes have been ridden across Africa and South America, fully panniered and having to be welded up when they break.
Now that's pretty tough!
I'll see if I can dig out the article and post it.

NeilM":13fftyr4 said:
TrevorKershaw":13fftyr4 said:
Clockwork or P7, iwell any Orange bike really!!! :cool:

Oh man! I forgot about Orange. P7 and especially the C16R; my daughter has one that she rides everywhere, hard, and the bike just eats it up. My son has a P7 that he used at Mayhem this year to put in sub-hour laps. They are both superb bikes and highly underrated.

They certainly are great bikes. Were they ever generally underrated though? I spend some time on a guitar forum or two, and one of the perennial questions seems to be, "Who is the most underrated guitar player?", and, invariably, someone mentions Eric Claptout or Stevie Ray Vaughan. Now there are certainly those who dislike or don't rate these players, but they could never be considered, generally, underrated.

The Orange brand has, in my view, lived off the back of a great reputation moulded in the early days by tough yet light steel competition worthy bikes. The general consensus would be that they are light yet resilient even now as those early bikes reach their dotage. A 'go to' option for a mid range beater bike.

The perfect fit for this thread, as it goes.

:)

highlandsflyer":2t93y5rq said:
They certainly are great bikes. Were they ever generally underrated though? I spend some time on a guitar forum or two, and one of the perennial questions seems to be, "Who is the most underrated guitar player?", and, invariably, someone mentions Eric Claptout or Stevie Ray Vaughan. Now there are certainly those who dislike or don't rate these players, but they could never be considered, generally, underrated.

The Orange brand has, in my view, lived off the back of a great reputation moulded in the early days by tough yet light steel competition worthy bikes. The general consensus would be that they are light yet resilient even now as those early bikes reach their dotage. A 'go to' option for a mid range beater bike.

BITD that might have been the case, and still certain of the Orange models get people excited on RB, but my impression is that both the P7 and C16R have a very low key but enthusiastic following.

NeilM":3gyzkuej said:
highlandsflyer":3gyzkuej said:

BITD that might have been the case, and still certain of the Orange models get people excited on RB, but my impression is that both the P7 and C16R have a very low key but enthusiastic following.
Has anyone ever done a census of what bikes the RB member have? How many? What makes and models etc? It might be worth doing.

In 1996 I drove my car into a hedge at 60mph rolling it and writing it off. 2 years later I rode my '90 Tequesta into a hedge at 40mph and caused a lot more damage to the hedge than I had done with my car. I rode the Tequesta home :LOL: . Since that date I've ridden that Tequesta into the back of a car and I've flattened a guy on a motorbike who pulled out in front of me. It picked up a few scratches but that's all ;)

Found a decent pic of a MinuteMan.

minute1.jpg

Back