British Transport Films: Cyclists Special

47p2

Senior Retro Guru
The classic British Transport Films production about a cycle excursion to the Midlands, from 1955.

Click

Special wagons with rubber covered hooks? The rail company listening to the wishes of cyclists? Running special trains?

Oh my, how things have changed since the 50's.

47p2":25yb447g said:
The classic British Transport Films production about a cycle excursion to the Midlands, from 1955.

Agreed, a delightful little film, available on DVD (popular viewing at my club in winter).

Special cycle wagons? They still have them in France - see below.

Jon.

Attachments

• FrenchTrain.jpg
    FrenchTrain.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 271
roadking":npi60hc7 said:
Agreed, a delightful little film, available on DVD (popular viewing at my club in winter).

Seen it a few times - as with a lot of British Transport Films stuff, a wonderful insight into years gone by. I used to live in Watford about 8-9 years ago, and Junction station looks nowt like that these days - the stone setts as platform surfacing and those gas lamps - not to mention red Bakerloo Tube trains popping up in deepest Hertfordshire - are long gone!!

Avid Reeves & Mortimer fans ("Who, us?" "Yes, you!") like me might well have twigged that the jaunty music has since popped up elsewhere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88zZd_gMjdg

;)

David

I grew up in Husbands Bosworth and the pub they stopped at used to be my local. :D

You can't actually ride the route as they show it because there was a lot of editing. Most of it was filmed on the border of Leicestershire and Northants but the odd bit is in Warwickshire!

Back