Hi Guys, easton Carbon Frame with Electronic Damping

tandino

Retro Newbie
Hi

Ive managed to get hold of a Retro Easton Frame with Carbon front Girvin style forks and carbon rear swingarm.
Picked it up and there appears to be some form of electronic damping shenanigans on both front and rear forks.
Can anyone shed any light on these and give me any info.
Only have crap pics at the mo as its in the back of my van and the weather is pants out there..
You can see the rear unit quite clearly, the bottom of the front unit is just visible on the shock body and is the same as the rear.

Cheers Pete.

Eastondamping_zps38f951a4.jpg

Eastondamping2_zps1197ffb7.jpg

the very last proflex bikes (before they disappeared from UK bike scene and became K2 bikes) had electronic damping for the shocks.

Thanks

Ive got two Proflex bikes both 856's one mint with Girvins etc etc one not so good, thats the reason i bought this one to use the components and make one good one out of the two and swap the rear swing arm and front forks over.
Was just a bit taken aback when i worked out what the control box was for, were they ever any good?..
Seems like electronic damping control is begining to crop up again from what ive been reading??

Cheers Pete.

Done a bit of research and it now appears its a Proflex K2 with the Noleen Smart Shock system, are these things worth much?
Think i will try to swap all the good stuff onto this one to save it as it appears they are quite rare??!!
I bought it through Ebay from a place that does house clearances!!

You have what is inherently a very high end proflex / K2, it's not worth loads, and it's not worth a lot if the pistons of those shocks have black pitted corrosion marks on them.

The rear shock has the battery cover missing, I'd say it's almost impossible to replace.

Awaiting better pics for the rest of the bike. It looks a bit beaten up, no cable going through the swingarm to the rear mech, no chain, cable outer rusty in second pic etc etc.

The carbon crosslinks are worth about a £100 on ebay if they're in ok condition and the shock looks ok, more if they're in really good condition.

gtRTSdh":2lcq7o67 said:
You have what is inherently a very high end proflex / K2, it's not worth loads, and it's not worth a lot if the pistons of those shocks have black pitted corrosion marks on them.

The rear shock has the battery cover missing, I'd say it's almost impossible to replace.

Awaiting better pics for the rest of the bike. It looks a bit beaten up, no cable going through the swingarm to the rear mech, no chain, cable outer rusty in second pic etc etc.

The carbon crosslinks are worth about a £100 on ebay if they're in ok condition and the shock looks ok, more if they're in really good condition.

Its actually in pretty good condition,
Shocks are not pitted, its pretty much complete but rear mech,front mech & chain are in a bag to be fitted.
Yes it needs new cable and noodles for the brakes, not a big deal really and i will get these sorted.
Main thing is the frame and forks seem good.
And ive found a complete shock that is not working but it has the cover so fingers crossed i can get hold of it.
Will update pics when i get started on it, im going to try to get it back to its former glory.
Will get some pics of the other proflex's too.

Cheers Pete.

Ah you beet me to the win on this.
As said not worth a fortune, but good display of funky MTB desighne from BITD.

p.s is this the same tandino from the old vw forum e38? name rings a bell, was quite good site in the old days.

unit3":gjycxbuz said:

p.s is this the same tandino from the old vw forum e38? name rings a bell, was quite good site in the old days.

Yes t'is indeed me lol, retro cars, retro bikes, all the same!!!!

And as you know got it for a steal and it will be resurrected.
Bloody bike thieves that nicked our bikes are to blame for this!,
Been hunting for a good proflex to replace my better halves stolen one and want to build up another one as the 1st i found needed tlc.
Amazing what you stumble upon on ebay!

unit3":1wzl1r22 said:

And Saabs if I recall correctly... I still dream about my old 900.
Yours was awesome :cool:

G

Back