1980's Ian May Aero Bike help required new pics added

biggs682

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
just bought a glorious Ian May frame set with full aero tubing of its original owner .

this is what i know about it from the original owner

" I bought the frame from Ians shop I guess about 27 years ago ready to build up for the next season as I was a club rider with the New Brighton Cycling Club at the time. I never completed the build as work and an increasing social life put an end to my cycling for another 20 years!!

The frame had remained in the garage for all this time until last year when I actually stopped and seen it for what it is . Proper lugs ,531 chrome forks with campag drop outs , brazed brackets and Aero tubing which is very unique and finally a cut out bottom bracket . Using all remaining parts I had from the 80's and newer shimano wheels and down tube levers etc I built it up keeping it original as I could for its age.

The frame size I will send more details but I am 5' 10'' and it rides well for me over distance .
The frame is original red from new the lugs have not been detailed [more pics to follow] there are small marks in the paint due to its age in storage but no dents or scratches as its only ridden a few rides I will photo every mark for you plus plenty of the good bits...

The actual frame tubing is unknown but I know the bike is light and I will remember to weigh it complete for you, "

so my question is anybody else got one or have an idea of tubing used ? below is a link to original owners picture .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46767700@N02/10004862856/

Re: 1980's Ian May Aero Bike help required

Looks like a form of Tange Aero tubing for the main tubes as they really aren't anything like the Reynolds Speedstream or Columbus Air which were the better alternatives at the time.

Nob never seen any Reynolds speedstream before so will have to keep an eye out

i had an aero tubed french made frame a whilst ago that i have just up loaded pics to my flick r http://www.flickr.com/photos/68734341@N04/ account but this was only teardrop shaped on down and main tubes

biggs682":2se50joi said:
never seen any Reynolds speedstream before

Speedstream was a short-lived and not very successful tubeset, designed for lugless/fillet brazed construction it was (relatively) quite heavy.

I've only ever seen two frames made from this tubeset - a riding buddy has one of them.

Jon.

TBH, to me , it doesn't look very 'Aero'. The tubes basically look round to me in the photos. They must be round at the ends to fit into the lugs. Are they just 'squashed' a bit in the middle?

We had an Ian May Aero tubed bike on here a little while ago didn't we? This had centrally flattened tubing IIRC.

ned its more squashed profile tube than tear drop shaped

just measured tube diameters

top tube is aprox 25.6 mm od at each end tapering down to 21.6 mm wide and 30.3 high in the middle

main tube is aprox 29.44 mm od at each end tapering to 23.7 mm wide and 35.2 high in the middle

seat or down tube is aprox 29 mm od at each end tapering to 23.9 mm wide and 35 mm high in the middle

whilst rear stays are narrow round at top and then take on a flattish shape , will get some pics up once the sun appears .

added these pics as the sun has almost come out today so far just done about 12 miles on bike , not sure re the modern rims .

Attachments

• imay1.JPG
    imay1.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 2,923
  • imay2.JPG
    imay2.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 2,923
  • imay3.JPG
    imay3.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 2,923

biggs682":38t69or8 said:

i had an aero tubed french made frame a whilst ago that i have just up loaded pics to my flick r http://www.flickr.com/photos/68734341@N04/ account but this was only teardrop shaped on down and main tubes

My EG Bates Low pro is Reynolds Speedstream SL & its a rare tubing evn back then in the early 80's when Alan Bates made my frame in 83.

Nob":3gga0hz9 said:
biggs682":3gga0hz9 said:

My EG Bates Low pro is Reynolds Speedstream SL & its a rare tubing evn back then in the early 80's when Alan Bates made my frame in 83.

nob would be nice to see some pics .

have also noticed forks are Zues 2000 on this bike , keep trying to contact Ian May but so far no luck

Back