Rust on my spokes

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hi :)

I am rebuilding a Marin Bolinas Ridge and aim to lavish the bike with loads of TLC, but want to see if I can do it spending at little as possible. I know some would say this model is not worth the fuss but I like the old girl ;)

The spokes on the rear wheel are rusty, just surface rust which comes of with a little rub of wire wool, what the best way to treat them after I have removed the rust so they look shiny (from a distance )

?

Aluminium foil works well on spokes too..., once the rust is off, I didn't use a product other than elbow grease....

Aluminium foil can help to bring metals up to a shine, but I think you're right, once cleaned it won't be too long before the surface rust sets in again.

Metal Polish (Autosol/Peek/Mothers Mag & Ally Polish) not only cleans up the metal but should help protect it for a while.

Or for probably around £10 per wheel you could buy some new stainless spokes and nipples and rebuild the wheel so the spokes should never go rusty again :)

jimo746":10fw7rmk said:
Aluminium foil can help to bring metals up to a shine, but I think you're right, once cleaned it won't be too long before the surface rust sets in again.

Metal Polish (Autosol/Peek/Mothers Mag & Ally Polish) not only cleans up the metal but should help protect it for a while.

Or for probably around £10 per wheel you could buy some new stainless spokes and nipples and rebuild the wheel so the spokes should never go rusty again :)

I like the idea of new stainless spokes, is it possible to replace one at a time and keep the wheel 'true, or am I being a tight ass, and should just get the wheel trued :)

benjy":24rza0jk said:
it wouldnt stay true as you wont get the same tension on the spokes ect

I will give them a good tidy up and in the future treat the wheel to a new set of spokes and a proper true up.

widowmaker":2rhwlj3f said:
Hi :)

I am rebuilding a Marin Bolinas Ridge. I know some would say this model is not worth the fuss but I like the old girl ;)

Always worth the effort!...I would go with the foil and autosol route then give the raw spokes a coat of teflon based lube GT85 WD40 etc...but for the price of a new set of ss spokes you could buy a better set of wheels in better condition...

Latest posts

Back