Stopping Smoking - wish me luck!!

Re: Smoking - wish me luck!!

TGR wrote:

I am surprised no one has mentioned saving the money each day to buy something - like a bike!

I didn't really notice any financial gain until a couple of months after I'd stopped when I realised that I had significantly more wonga in the bank than usual :shock: :D And financial gain didn't influence my decision to stop. But if it helps you then why not think about all the lovely stuff you can buy from this forum :cool:

Neil":14o7yaoc said:
For those trying to give up, how do e-cigs stack up? Helpful, a panacea, or just a bit of a distraction?

I know people who've smoked for a long time, and have talked of various schemes or attempts, over the years, that they were going to give up - especially these new programs at doctors / clinics where they try their level best to help you. Last thing I saw they'd dived on that bandwagon that is e-cigs, but were still smoking some normal cigarettes a day, but at a claimed, reduced rate.

To me, that just sounds like every other attempt, where they've claimed they were smoking less for a while, then after a bit, revert to form - but e-cigs do seem to be becoming much more popular - that'll have to be stopped, there's a revnue stream to consider, selfish B'Stards - it's prime case for needing taxing - sorry - regulation, after all, they're clearly quite dangerous, people are dropping like flies from using them, aren't they...?

To answer several of your questions and a little insight on a few of the things that have been mentioned within this thread.

I used to smoke at least 10 cigarettes a day, and over the past few years attempted to give up on numerous occasions, I've been prescribed Patches, Gum and Zyban.
The patches made my skin itch due to the way that the Nicotine is absorbed into the body, plus they continually fell off as any physical activity such as cycling makes your skin sweat and the patch loses adhesion.

I tried numerous different brands which all had similar problems.
So I tried Nicotine Gum, but after a while your jaws get tired of chewing over and over again until it becomes tiresome. I was then offered Zyban as most current NHS options simply didn't work that well, the failure rate for most Nicotine Replacement Therapies is about 98% so unfortunately the odds are against most of us.
Going Cold Turkey has actually has a higher success rate than NRT.
Zyban did work for a period of time approx 6 Months then I was back on the cigarettes again.

So I continued to smoke for the next couple of years until I saw an ad in a newspaper for a SkyCig, did some research and ordered one for the princely sum of £12.99 delivered.
It arrived and I charged the battery up and started to "smoke", the stuff that comes out of the cartomiser is actually steam rather than any carcinogenic smoke.
Used it for a few days but realised that it wasn't really going to cut the mustard, so got back on the net and did some more research on other alternatives (this was 12 Months ago and a lot has changed since then).
Found a kit that fitted the bill and placed my order. The stuff arrived several days later and I haven't looked back since.

The Nicotine Liquid consists of only a few ingredients which are all safe and are not harmful. They are Nicotine (Obviously) Glycerine (Used in Cough Medicine) Propylene Glycol (Used as a Food Additive) and last but not least Food Flavouring. All of the above mixed together in various different quantities gives you Nicotine Liquid, E-Liquid or "Juice".
It comes in many different flavours and different Nicotine Strengths. You can buy it Pre-made or mix your own, if you've got the willingness to do so.

Vaping as it's called is far cheaper than smoking I've spent less than £30 over the past two months.
I don't have any issues with breathing any more, I think I'm fitter than I was 12 months ago, still need to lose weight but I can ride further without needing to take a breather and keep up with my mates who are younger than me.

If you are considering giving up smoking and have tried all the other alternatives then have a look at an E-Cig, because for most people they do work and it's simply replacing the cigarette, you still get your daily dose of Nicotine which happens to be far more addictive than crack for a better alternative.
I've not given up I've just changed how I take my fix, which sits easier with me than giving up the Nicotine for good.
Maybe one day I will finally put the batteries and liquid in the drawer, but for now I'll use my E-Cig and feel better for it.

If anyone wants more info you can check out http://ukvapers.org for helpful information and recommendations.
Or if anyone has any questions on where to get this new fangled thing just send me a P.M. and I'll answer any questions you have. With regards to anyone wanting to stop, good luck.

Kind Regards

Liam

I stopped two years ago. I'd stopped before, but I think the difference on previous occasions was that back then, I ended up wanting to smoke again, so I eventually did.

This time, I'd got to the stage where I wanted to stop, I was fed up of telling myself I enjoyed smoking, when really I knew this wasn't true. I also knew I needed to stop. At 45, I was talking to a friend's brother who is a doctor. I said I was aware that I was approaching the danger point, age wise. He laughed and replied that I was probably 10 years past the danger point and was on borrowed time.

I used to smoke so heavily that I'd lie in bed at night and hear my chest creaking. I've noticed that each time I stopped smoking, it was more difficult than the time before. I guess it might be something to do with how long you smoke for. I think if I started again now, that would be it, and I'd find it near on impossible to stop again.

A couple of different people recommended the Allen Car stop smoking book (it's worth a read if you want to stop). He says you're not 'giving up' smoking because if you say that, you're as good as implying that you are making some sort of sacrifice and that there's something good about smoking. How can stopping doing something that is slowly killing you be any sort of sacrifice ? I just say I've stopped smoking, and that's good enough for me.

I'm aware that nicotine is extremely addictive. I suspect that many people who have never smoked would struggle to relate to that, or to imagine how difficult it can be to stop. There are also those who suggest nicotine is as addictive as heroin. I can't comment myself as I've never tried it. I can only speak from my own experience and say that the reason I don't smoke now is because I genuinely don't want to. That's probably the only reason I didn't start again after a few months, like I have done on previous occasions.

The nicotine replacement therapy thing is just a corporate lie, because it's a by-product of the tobacco industry. Why else would trying to stop smoking cost as much if not more than actually just smoking ? Use the patches to stick over your mouth so you can't smoke if you like. Apart from that, I don't know much use for them. I used to smoke whilst wearing the patches, and still craved for more nicotine. All the time you're using the gum or the patches, or those vapour things, you're just prolonging the addiction rather than killing it once and for all.

** Edit - I was driving home and saw a woman riding a bike whilst smoking a cigarette the other week, and found myself laughing. I just thought the whole concept of riding a bike was about health and fitness, while smoking is the complete opposite. It just didn't look right somehow.

Quick update - day 5 on the tablets and i was queasy for the past 2 days although it may be the flu, i suspect it was the tablets. Today, i feel fine (except for the flu) and the cigarettes are beginning to taste odd but it could all be in my mind! Very odd.

Richard

If someone would like a copy of Allen Carr's 'Easy way to stop smoking' drop me a PM with your address and I'll send I'll send it to you. It worked for my brother but not for me. Horses for courses - I went cold turkey.

Saturday update - 8 days on the tablets and still smoking. I started the high dosage yesterday. Cigs are beginning to get unpalitable (sp?) and i am maybe only smoking half a cig so that is good. Also, i am not enjoying them - again another positive. What is bad is the queasyiness which has carried on for a few days now.

The last time i used the tablets i was very queasy for one day and then fine - this is different and also different is what seems to be a slow aproach to stopping when, the last time, it was almost instantaneous after about 10 days.

Next update should be from someone who has stopped smoking (finger crossed).

Have a great weekend all,

Richard

Thursday update - 14 days on the tablets and queasiness seems to have stopped. More interesting news (to me) is that i have not had a cig for over 2 days - probably 50 hours ish. This may not seem like much to non-smokers but it is a hell of a long time to me. I was working yesterday and today, from 3pm today i got very stressed and really wanted a smoke but i thought "leave it an hour" and when it got to 4, i thought the same thing, and so on until 7 when i finished. I drove home with my mind wondering what i should be doing with my hands - i am taking this as a positive.

So, this evening i had some work to do with my nephew and it was quite stressful and i could have had a smoke but resisted, more importantly, i had 4 beers (small ones) and managed without smoking. As i type this, i am thinking of cigars but that will pass when i head to bed.

That is it for the meantime,

Richard

michael franks":1bsyp18q said:
If someone would like a copy of Allen Carr's 'Easy way to stop smoking' drop me a PM with your address and I'll send I'll send it to you. It worked for my brother but not for me. Horses for courses - I went cold turkey.

Yes but if you read it the info is in your head and was one of the tools that helped you go cold turkey like me.

Carl

Sunday morning update -

Still taking the tablets. Just finished 2 night shifts and i really struggled, the past 2 hours have been horrendous - the drive home was bad and i wanted a cig before I came into the house too. But still i suffer on. It really is amazing how much time i spend thinking of cigs now. I was told that breaking habits is the only way to beat it but my habits (like driving the car) cannot be broken as they are necessary. I seem to be eating more rubbish and a load of chewing gum too so my weight will rise - maybe not too much a problem at the moment and a little extra weight is a small price to pay if i stay away from the cigs.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend (well, better than Lewis Hamilton anyway!)

Richard

Another update - still not smoking, the tablets seem to be doing something, what that exactly is - i am not sure. My wife mentioned that i am not in good form at the moment - it might be the tablets or it might just be me. It really is amazing how much time i spend thinking of smoking.

Having gone for three weeks without one, I have been able to work out that I need to get my head working and everything else will follow. The association with smoking and certain tasks, journeys etc seems to be the hardest thing. I normally smoked 2 cigs on the way to work and 2 on the way home - these are hard to replace and as the journey is boring, i spend my time thinking about smoking - that is the hardest bit.

We are having a party tonight (pop over if you are free), and there is a chance i will smoke tonight. I do not think that will be a problem as long as i don't repeat this tomorrow but i will try hard to avoid it.

If anyone else is stopping, good luck.

Richard

Back