Elgin Marvels - 1988 Alves returns 2022

Re: Elgin Marvels - 1988 Alves

Retro Spud":3kiu16fu said:
The History Man":3kiu16fu said:
There's a surprise. Try not to pollute this thread as well. Or I wont give you the pleasure of sharing.

If you can't say anything nice..........

I just can't work you two out.... :|

you both butt heads regularly, post rather pointed comments which I have to say
have me in stitches ....but come on I think you secretly rub along like brothers

@Carl
Talk about judging a book by its cover, I never thought you'd give THM the time of day, yet a lone a good lead in finding this frame... ;)

@ THM
You do come across as the small Brother, put on this planet to antagonize... but secretly admire him. :!:

But W.T.F do I know ...

To be fair, I took a pounding from him and didn't see it coming as I had never spoken to the fella but to comment on the "Not safe at work thread".....!

Given something the Guvnor said, I thought don't back him up any further, try and help the fella.

It Does seem hes happy to take ill advice from many, and yet no experience from someone who has already made the "costly" mistakes. Regardless of how much I offer to help, with parts/email enquiries etc.

C'est la vie.

sinnerman":954o5wwi said:
Retro Spud":954o5wwi said:
The History Man":954o5wwi said:
There's a surprise. Try not to pollute this thread as well. Or I wont give you the pleasure of sharing.

If you can't say anything nice..........

I just can't work you two out.... :|

you both butt heads regularly, post rather pointed comments which I have to say
have me in stitches ....but come on I think you secretly rub along like brothers

@Carl
Talk about judging a book by its cover, I never thought you'd give THM the time of day, yet a lone a good lead in finding this frame... ;)

@ THM
You do come across as the small Brother, put on this planet to antagonize... but secretly admire him. :!:

But W.T.F do I know ...

To be fair, I took a pounding from him and didn't see it coming as I had never spoken to the fella but to comment on the "Not safe at work thread".....!

Given something the Guvnor said, I thought don't back him up any further, try and help the fella.

It Does seem hes happy to take ill advice from many, and yet no experience from someone who has already made the "costly" mistakes. Regardless of how much I offer to help, with parts/email enquiries etc.

C'est la vie.

I think Retrobike is a brotherhood of sorts, and once people can drop the Cock measuring contests, its actually a cool place to be.

Sadly for many............ personalities get in the way.

In ref to giving him the heads up on the frame and trying to send FREE parts in the post.

Im not here to make enemies of people, but I gotta be honest im here for the bigger picture, the frames were the right size and budget, a potential seller came on with no clue on price, and THM was looking and was the right size at a certain Price.

I couldn't give a Monkeys Toss if the guy has a beef with me, Im here to Save bikes (Especially British) and add to the wealth of the Site, hes a member and in need, I left the Playground Long Ago, and the nonsense is like water off a ducks back to me.

I try and think of the Greater Good.

And as I have said many many times on BOTM, its about the bike not the custodian of it.

:cool:

Page two and the bike is not even built yet, that has to be some kind of record.

Currently the frame is in no danger, as it is safely contained in the bubble wrap frame bag it was in when I picked it up.

Maybe trying to preempt all this was a mistake?

Credit where it's due. I was going to write up with thanks to those once build was complete. Not sure now we ended up here again.

For me, I'd like to just post a bike build with a few pics. This is because I'm generally pleased with the result however it turns out. These are bikes after all.

I think we should sort this out with naked jelly wrestling or a pint of something. Other than that. Who really cares?

As for my declining your generous offers of correct rather than adequate parts, it's very difficult for me to trust or forgive somebody who appeared so openly hostile and overly critical of me and others when I first began using the site. I'm not the only one who has suffered this treatment. Go talk to parkplodder. Does tend to cloud one's view especially when others have been so helpful without such needless remarks.

If you look at the last 130/135 OLD exchanges, I was just the host. The arguments started amongst others. There is a common factor though. Perfectionism rather than pragmatism? I post on lots of threads, mostly without incident or argument. I'm here for a bit of fun and to gain support, attend rides, swap parts and fill the long winter evenings ahead. So let's put this to bed.

Love you all! (My middle name is Karl)

Now can I just show you my bike? :mrgreen:

Oooh! another Alves! built just down the road from where I currently reside.
Apparently the guy Charlie Ralph who made these frames no longer builds bikes? or so I hear.

How about someone giving us a bit of history of the Alves frames if anyone knows any?

Very little on the interweb, other than location, and name or links back to bikes and frames.

Would be nice to know more.

A member on here (forget who it was now, perhaps the guy who had a Pace recently repaired with gussetts added to the head tube??) did tell me a little of Charles Ralph as at the time I was looking to get a frame sprayed, apparently he used to build quite a few custom bikes, road, touring, track bikes (built one for an Olympic track cyclist iirc), and MTB, then quit to go and work offshore...or so I hear...

Anyway, have you seen this one? http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=156834

Yes saw that. Not a lot of info though. Your last post had more! Thanks.

Shame he gave up building then.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 313

The History Man":19eia77a said:
Maybe trying to preempt all this was a mistake?

Credit where it's due. I was going to write up with thanks to those once build was complete. Not sure now we ended up here again.

For me, I'd like to just post a bike build with a few pics. This is because I'm generally pleased with the result however it turns out. These are bikes after all.

I think we should sort this out with naked jelly wrestling or a pint of something. Other than that. Who really cares?

As for my declining your generous offers of correct rather than adequate parts, it's very difficult for me to trust or forgive somebody who appeared so openly hostile and overly critical of me and others when I first began using the site. I'm not the only one who has suffered this treatment. Go talk to parkplodder. Does tend to cloud one's view especially when others have been so helpful without such needless remarks.

If you look at the last 130/135 OLD exchanges, I was just the host. The arguments started amongst others. There is a common factor though. Perfectionism rather than pragmatism? I post on lots of threads, mostly without incident or argument. I'm here for a bit of fun and to gain support, attend rides, swap parts and fill the long winter evenings ahead. So let's put this to bed.

Love you all! (My middle name is Karl)

Now can I just show you my bike? :mrgreen:

Couple of points before you Brush this Nonsense under the carpet.

Im pretty confident, I have Never posted any comments on any of your builds Prior to helping you find this and the Overburys purchase.

Openly Hostile to you 4 odd thousands post ago when you started here, Utter "NONSENSE", I didn't have a clue you even existed, until all your Baiting and Bullshit on BOTM.

Clouded View....I suspect was gained by other peoples opinions Certainly, This Much is clear.

130/135 Old Exchanges,...... Sadly if you had answered a "simple" Question without trying to be clever with your remarks, a "simple solution could have been given immediately. A lesson learned there for both of us I think Don't You.

And for what its worth, Pragmatism was being sought Not Perfectionism. Simply Hoping a reasonable and logical way of doing things would be beneficial to you to help you attend rides and fill those long winter nights you speak off Without Incident, via riding a Properly adjusted bicycle. Year of spec had sod all to do with it.

And finally Trust and Forgiveness........... Well Forgiveness I can do without as you have seen im Happy to "Give as Good as I Get".

And Trust.........As I say this has again More to do with The Clouded View you have listened too. Perhaps you should listen to the 60 or so members I have delt with and done work for, but then im confident No trust was needed, to simply receive some old bike parts Was it....lol.

END.

Back