Respacing rear hub

mrcpea

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a set of Maillard hubs from around 1980ish.
The front hub is 96mm and the rear is 130mm OLN.
The frame that I want to use these hubs in has a rear dropout spacing of 126mm.
Is it possible to take some off the rear washers to reduce to 126mm?
If so, would it be best to take 4mm from the large washer on the freewheel side or 2mm off each side. Or some other combination?
Advice gratefully accepted :)

Photo enclosed.

Rich

Attachments

• hub.JPG
    hub.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 305
If its a steel frame it will pull apart enough to take the 130mm hub. It does make it a little tight when it comes to removal for punctures etc but won't do any harm to the frame. You could remove the washers, which by the look of it will reduce it to about 128mm but it make the cone adjustment on the bearings a little more difficult. Or, you could take 4mm off the spacer on the drive side, but you'd need to check you have enough clearance between the freewheel and the frame.

Its all fun and frolics :)

Robbied196":1qbaj6qw said:
If its a steel frame it will pull apart enough to take the 130mm hub. It does make it a little tight when it comes to removal for punctures etc but won't do any harm to the frame. You could remove the washers, which by the look of it will reduce it to about 128mm but it make the cone adjustment on the bearings a little more difficult. Or, you could take 4mm off the spacer on the drive side, but you'd need to check you have enough clearance between the freewheel and the frame.

Its all fun and frolics :)

HUGE thanks Rob, I really appreciate your advice. Yes, it's a Steel Frame.
I always like your eBay auctions too.
You've also restored some fabulous bikes :)

Richard

mrcpea":16sraz3d said:
I always like your eBay auctions too.
You've also restored some fabulous bikes :)

Richard

Big thank you Rich :)

I think i have the Bicycle equivalent of OCD.

The cheques in the post :LOL:

Those Maillard hubs look a little younger and there's something not right about the spacers..........I wonder if they are 70's and someone has spaced them out to fit a later 130mm OLD frame......

I'd gently screw on your freewheel and try it in you frame and check the distance between the small sprocket and the chainstay ........I guess there will be enough space to file 2-4 mm off that large spacer.

Shaun

Midlife":3nb5t842 said:
Those Maillard hubs look a little younger and there's something not right about the spacers..........I wonder if they are 70's and someone has spaced them out to fit a later 130mm OLD frame......

I'd gently screw on your freewheel and try it in you frame and check the distance between the small sprocket and the chainstay ........I guess there will be enough space to file 2-4 mm off that large spacer.

Shaun

Many thanks for your reply shaun. Always excellent advice :D
In comparison with the Maillards on my Dawes Galaxy (Which also has a rear dropout spacing of 126) the slot detail below the spoke holes is defiantly different. There are more of them & they are smaller on these ones than there is on the Galaxy ones, so you're probably right in thinking these are 70's hubs, as the Galaxy is an '84 I think.

I think I might try them in the frame at 130, like Rob said, then make a smaller spacer to reduce down to 126 & see where the freewheel ends up!

Huge thanks again,

Richard :)

Back