Claud Butler frame id

Andy260

Dirt Disciple
A while ago I was trawling ebay and bought a frame to add to all of my unfinished projects. Anyhow I am making a start at sourcing some partssuch as chainset wheels etc and then building the bike and I would like some help on dating it please. It has been nicely refinished as a Claud Butler but IT cannot find any matching lug shapes for CB on the net. Under the BB shell is stamped 3144. I would like to know the age of the frame and if it is a CB. I have attatched some pics though its the first time that IT have used the site so fingers crossed

http://www.slickpic.com/album/BikePics

http://sli.so/217588NjYj

It's a nice frame, but I think you're right it doesn't look like a Claud butler. What's interesting is that the paint decoration at the top of the seat stays is typical Dawes.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to shed some light :)

That frame looks my era, very nicely made but not 531c........ The "c" stood for competition and that's not a frame designed for use in anger :)

Shaun

Look like Oscar Egg lugs or very similar to me. I have a 1958 Carlton with the same lugs but others used them too. Carlton usually had the serial number and date stamp on the right rear dropout. Looks more like touring frame geometry too.

It does look like one of the Holdsworthy Company frames from the 1960's.
Many others used the same components.
Check the diameter of the seat pin for tubing gauge.
Some Freddie Grubb were made of grade A drawn tubing, others with 531.
Keith

Many thanks for all the info chaps. I have looked at the Oscar Egg lugs on images and they are similar especially the bb shell. I bought the frame on ebay for £90 as a 1952 Claud Butler however this is now looking doubtful It had been painted by Longstaff cycles who have also added the decals the previous owner said the paintjob was £175 and looking on their site this looks about right. The 3144 also appears on the steerer tube so at least they match. For me without an id it wouldn't feel right building and riding it and there is no way I could sell it.

Back