1993 Orange Prestige.

Re: 1993 Orange Prestige - Back Home

Looking good fella, you are making use of it like I wish I had the time for!

Can't wait to see it finished

:shock:

Going to be a stunner this one............... :cool:

Are you going to resolve the canti bridge problem or going with V's?

huh, well some spanking RC30's came up for sale so the purple RC35's have gone to make way for the rigids, a little sad but the bike had RC30's on it when I owned it previously.
Think I will get some of the RC35 legs though, then it's easy enough to swap between rigid or suspension :)

As for the brakes... I may find some good condition Magura Racelines in neon yellow (as fited bitd) as the rear brake cable stops are already drilled out to take the hydraulic hose, so running cable brakes would mean a long run of outer, or something else?

Gears, already found some Gripshift X-Rays, as used by me in the 1990's.
Wheels, have some Mavic MA40 MB rims, need to get hubs.

The plan was to rebuild this loosely as it was in the mid/late 90's when it was my main MTB, but the urge to upgrade parts/bling it out/fit a few modern parts is strong, so there's no telling where this build will go! :LOL: :facepalm:

Dossa":128ifvgt said:
Are you going to resolve the canti bridge problem or going with V's?

The smaller Orange frames (I've had a couple) don't have canti stops due to the super-short wishbone and get around the problem by using a seat bolt mounted canti hanger like this.

Frame looks amazing btw :cool:

So, possibly the slowest build ever on Retrobike rolls forward another notch :LOL:
(I've thinned the fleet recently so hopefully this build should pick up speed...hopefully!!).

I managed to find some Magura HS22 Raceline brakes, the same as I had fitted when I originally built the bike up, flouro yellow & purple are certainly eye-catching in an early 1990's kind of way! :shock:

The Gripshift SRT800 X-Ray shifters are now fitted as well.

Originally I never used the magura brake boosters or the quick releases, however I remember that the canti studs on the forks did begin to bend outwards a little towards the end of my prevous ownership of the bike, so this time around I think I'll use a brake booster on the front...

The HS22's I bought came with a couple of the later Magura boosters, and also an Odyssey "U4-Plus Titanium" brake booster, which although manufactured later seems pretty pimp :cool:

Is there a way of running a non-Magura brake booster and still retaining use of the quick-release mechanism? Or is it just a case of living without the Q/R (not a big deal for me really).??

Nice attention to detail on this :)

Shame your not using those purple RC35's though.

:cool: Will mark this as a coffee break read.

i really like the paint job, i know the catalogue version is a lighter blue or purple fade but i think that looks really good. it's nice when you get back a bike/frame you've owned before, it was the same with my 92 explosif, i also like that you're going rigid, rc30's are great. curious though, the thread you link to shows the bike with what looks like an original fork, so why not use that?
the removal of the canti hanger i think is beneficial, i usually have a "if the canti hanger is there you must use it" rule but if you are/were using maguras then it not being there looks so much nicer than it being there and redundant.

quite a clash of colours but in a good way i think. it will be interesting to see how they look when built up :D

regarding the frame, i must ride a prestige frame at some point, i have ridden the early clockworks and i have 2 P7's both of which i like so i imagine the prestige is something like those, springy and comfortable as opposed to the clockwork which i found a little heavy and uncomfortable by comparison.

jonnyboy666":3epe9bts said:
curious though, the thread you link to shows the bike with what looks like an original fork, so why not use that?

The chap I bought the frame from had already sold the RC30 forks seperately before I pulled the trigger on the frame, so I opted for some RC35's, then relented and decided to go with some RC30's :facepalm:

jonnyboy666":3epe9bts said:
i imagine the prestige is something like those, springy and comfortable as opposed to the clockwork which i found a little heavy and uncomfortable by comparison.

That's how I rmember it! Quite springy and lively, but comfortable enough for a long day in the saddle.
I may find out again if I ever get this build finished :LOL:

actually i meant the orange rigid fork it was pictured with when it was black :)

jonnyboy666":31a3wezu said:
actually i meant the orange rigid fork it was pictured with when it was black :)

:? you've lost me now...

the thread I linked to (Paulwakinshaws thread abut this same frame) does have a pic of a black Prestige, but that isn' this one, it's just someone showing what their Prestige looked like.

This frame was originally Purple/Silver fade, and Paul had it renovated at Bob Jacksons in Leeds in the same colour scheme. To be fair I think it's my camera that doesn't quite show the paint as it actually is, it's an excellent reproduction of the original paintwork :)

Back