Winter Cycling Clothing or Snow Clothing?

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Good morning all,

I got an email from Decathlon regarding base layers for skiing -

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/simple-warm- ... 85607.html

They seem a good bargain although i do not ski and i would use them for cycling - should i actually go out in the cold!!!

Can anyone tell me if they differ from the cycling base layers which start at about three times the price of these?

Thanks,

Richard

Yes, the difference is that the cycling ones are more expensive!!!!

Otherwise probably nothing, I did a lot of skiing, downhill, telemark and cross country and the base layer clothing doubled up as cycling stuff too.
I can't comment on the quality of the Decathalon stuff. I went there once, but I couldn't find anything I wanted to buy.

I would recommend Merino wool as it keeps you warm when wet and is non smelly. But it's pricey and some claim it's itchy scratchy, but I've love it and it lasts for ages.

I bought a load of Rapha stuff yesterday as I got suckered by the ads of the hard boys and girls riding in the pouring rain.
As winter is fast approaching and it gets bloody cold, wet and snowy here I want the best clothing I can get my hands on, otherwise cycling stops from December to March and I put on a load of lard just moping about and have to shake off 12 kg in the spring before I'm back in shape again.

My purchase of Rapha may prove to be poor judgement and I'll find out soon enough.

I have a couple of Merino caps and they are great, and a merino top which i like too. At the price, the Decathlon base layers may be worth a try - three for less than a cheaper cycling one. And if they don't work on the bike, I am sure i can use them elsewhere.

Is the Rapha stuff really that good? I would be interested in a report on it.

Richard

I've no idea if it's any good at all. I bought it on the webby and they do a 90 day return if not used for a full refund, post free.

I had to buy two of everything as I conveniently fall between sizes IN EVERYTHING :roll:
I'll let you know. Are you going on the Cotswold ride ?

The only problem might be that of length. For cycling, vests need to come down to approx. mid-buttock (especially at the back) otherwise you get a cold spot just where you don't need it - around your kidneys. If this is OK then I can't see any difference between ski and cycling wear. I've got all sorts of stuff in my cold weather assortment.

Trouble is that I don't tend to wear it much - it's generally to cold :roll:

Bugloss, I won't be on the Cotswold ride - too expensive to get there.

Ned - regarding your last line - i have the same problem but the vests may be of use in my cold garage!

Richard

You lot don't know what cold is. We had 4 months of -20ºc the winter before last and it was even -20ºc in our bathroom. It took me 2 days to defrost the cold water, good job we've got steel water pipes.

Mrs B. and the small Bees had to decamp to her mothers for 2 weeks till I got the bloody heating going.

A new boiler and 2 wood burners are now installed with 6 tonnes of firewood chopped and dried...... bring it on!

HA!!! That sounds like our summer!!!!

LOL

Richard

p.s. I was born in the middle of a motorway and fed on gravel ...

Did you have to cycle 15 miles with no shoes on a bike without a saddle to get a loaf of Hovis as well.

We lived in a matchbox that we had to share with the matches.

Ah the good old days.

A bike? You were lucky. We walked 15 miles to get cold water before we got up!!! And that was in summer - in winter we had one glove so we walked on one hand each morning to get the water.

A matchbox? You were lucky. We envied people in match boxes; we lived under a rotting leaf and had to share with beetles and other bugs.

Richard

Back