Raleigh ti 753R frame

originalshinkicker":accqfdxj said:
If it was about 3-350.00 then it may be a possible buy. £1000 and even £650 is just too much based on what has sold this year on eBay. It has a really poor and very thick repaint, perhaps why the SB isn't visible. The image from under the BB looks incredibly thick. Even the person writing the advert said the rear dropouts look like Campag - they probably can't see campag on the dropouts because of the bad paint.

Unless you have the frame in your hands and can measure the tube diameters you may never know about it being 753. Ask them the weight of the frame and forks, there is a definite weight difference between 753 and 531. Ask them to stick a seat pin in and ask what size pin it takes. It has all the signs of being an SB frame. The 3 top tube cable guides aren't the norm but could have been requested from new or changed at any time in its 30 year life. The head badge probably got changed as part of the poor refurbish.

It's my size, 57cm, and if I didn't already have one, I'd be tempted but not at that price.

There are plenty of people riding old 753 frames like this - but with a 30 year old frame and no history, you always take a chance.

Neil
Good advice there.I guess i would like you say would have to look at it close up because of the paint job and not identifying the markings.I think at some point the purchase will end up being a bad one.

originalshinkicker":18bwsy0x said:
If it was about 3-350.00 then it may be a possible buy. £1000 and even £650 is just too much based on what has sold this year on eBay. It has a really poor and very thick repaint, perhaps why the SB isn't visible. The image from under the BB looks incredibly thick. Even the person writing the advert said the rear dropouts look like Campag - they probably can't see campag on the dropouts because of the bad paint.

Unless you have the frame in your hands and can measure the tube diameters you may never know about it being 753. Ask them the weight of the frame and forks, there is a definite weight difference between 753 and 531. Ask them to stick a seat pin in and ask what size pin it takes. It has all the signs of being an SB frame. The 3 top tube cable guides aren't the norm but could have been requested from new or changed at any time in its 30 year life. The head badge probably got changed as part of the poor refurbish.

It's my size, 57cm, and if I didn't already have one, I'd be tempted but not at that price.

There are plenty of people riding old 753 frames like this - but with a 30 year old frame and no history, you always take a chance.

Neil
Good advice there.I guess i would like you say would have to look at it close up because of the paint job and not identifying the markings.I think at some point the purchase will end up being a bad one.

Never thought about the seat post size...

my memory is bad (being old) but 753R was a little thinner so the seat post needed to be bigger, also being good old britain it might have been imperial so 27.4mm might be the size if 753R tubing.

Just a thought.

Shaun

It looks like paint has been applied over grit on the bottom bracket shell. Im thinking you would need to subtract the cost of a repaint and decal set from the price one in good original condition would fetch.

well it's certainly a raleigh that's for sure. all the hallmarks: curved tube ends at the dropouts, "shot in" seat stays, prugnat lugs by the look of them. it's been refurbed, that's for sure - heavy laquer glaze especially noticeable at the 753 transfer - and that looks like a repro one, not the original - you can tell by the shade of the purple behind the 753 digits. the forks look original and the drilling in front and rear dropouts suggest pre 1985 campagnolo. as for it being 753 is anyone's guess - we used to be able to tell just by "pinging" the tubes with a finger - lovely and fragile sounding unlike the other reynolds tubes. it should really have the SB prefix on the bb shell - even overpainting would surely show up a hint of this.

bottom line - £1000 - NO chance! i'd go £400 tops and even at that i'd want to see it in the flesh first. back in the day this would have cost you around £425 rrp at your local raleigh dealer. no more.

best of luck!

Midlife":2696hqhd said:
Never thought about the seat post size...

my memory is bad (being old) but 753R was a little thinner so the seat post needed to be bigger, also being good old britain it might have been imperial so 27.4mm might be the size if 753R tubing.

Just a thought.

Shaun

these frames ranged from 26.8 to 27.4mm diameter, shaun. the services des courses frame that i owned was a 1986 frame (i'm sure!) in the panasonic colours and was a 27.2mm diameter seat tube. my colleague's frame which he bought a year prior to mine was 27.0mm! raleigh chopped and changed these tube sets all the time back then as reynolds were heavily involved with the SBDU back then.

exciting times .

:cool:

I'm glad my offer price of £550 wasn't accepted as i'd gone off it all together and realised i'd offered to much plus some things didn't seem right.So now looking for something in 653 either Raleigh or Peugeot.

casper2788":3fv4bxx7 said:
I'm glad my offer price of £550 wasn't accepted as i'd gone off it all together and realised i'd offered to much plus some things didn't seem right.So now looking for something in 653 either Raleigh or Peugeot.

i was always a raleigh SBDU fan in the 80s but these days i'd go for an eddy merckx SLX - the difference in weight means bugger all when you have a frame that rides as well as these do - i'm a total convert!! try this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Eddy- ... 2ecad1dfb2

and keep a saved search on ebay for them - they come up regularly.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
rusty bodie":3lzonhen said:
casper2788":3lzonhen said:

i was always a raleigh SBDU fan in the 80s but these days i'd go for an eddy merckx SLX - the difference in weight means bugger all when you have a frame that rides as well as these do - i'm a total convert!! try this one:

I must be looking in the wrong place as i never saw this one.Presently have a Graham weigh columbus SLX with full Dura ace set and used to ride reynolds frames in the 80's and never got the same ride from the SLX as i find it to uncomfortable.

Attachments

• bike 004.JPG
    bike 004.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 105
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
casper2788":22gw21a1 said:
rusty bodie":22gw21a1 said:
casper2788":22gw21a1 said:

I must be looking in the wrong place as i never saw this one.Presently have a Graham weigh columbus SLX with full Dura ace set and used to ride reynolds frames in the 80's and never got the same ride from the SLX as i find it to uncomfortable.

no wonder that bike was uncomfortable - just look at those forks!!

:?

Back