Headset question

Mr Universe

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I am stuck as what to do. ?

After discovering what I'd found, I decided to totally restore this bike ➡️ viewtopic.php?f=6&t=270996&start=100

The rebuild is nearly complete, the problem I have is deciding what headset to choose for it, as the headset currently fitted is a 'ritchey' unit, although I'm pretty sure its of correct period, it just does not look right with the rebuild.

I'm wondering apart from either an Xt one, if I can find one, or blowing a shed loads of cash on a chris king one of which it'd have to be a no logo one so it would be expensive, and hard to track down, what else is there that is in keeping period wise , of good quality and would look right ?

Btw it is a 1" threaded type

Your comments greatly appreciated :)

And yes , I might be changing that stem , so comments and suggestions welcomed on that too :)

Find a NOS XT unit, they use 1/4" balls, look good, work a treat, and last forever or until your bike dies.
Cheers

What isn't right about the one on there?
Personally I would dump the black spacer and switch the top locknut to something better looking in silver. Job done.

Hi mate ,
If you're interested , I have a 1" Dura Ace headset I don't need any more . It was on a road bike for 3 or 4 months tops .Bought it new .Let me know Mr U . ;)
Mike

Thanks for the responses , quite like the idea of a road headset , remember that my mates used to run road ones, 105's If iirc bitd to save those precious grams :facepalm:

I've had a look at the Xt ones and think they might be quite a good option, it'll be just finding one that I wont have to remortgage the house to buy :(

Fluffly , the headset is either missing a part , assembled incorrectly (I have tried different configurations) or has at some time been replaced partly with another part(s) from a different headset, as there seems to be a 'gap' between the upper part of the headset and the part that fits into the frame. ,

i just think even if I changed the locknut and spacer the headset just does not 'fit' with the build, dont know if that makes sense :)

The ritchey headset is probably original as you say and I would agree that it looks okay bar the spacer. Personally I would avoid the 105 headset as it has a silly low stack height and you'll only end up using spacers in any case to take up the slack on the steerer.

If you fancy something different you could try a Stronglight A9 - I've one fitted to a bike and it does the job rather well, plus they're easily available. An M900 XTR could also work but they can be tricky to find these days in 1".

The bike is looking great by the way :cool:

Thanks mynchiboy , forgot about stack heights, cheers :) , I'm quite warming to the idea of a dura ace one at the minute, the Xtr might be a little too new for the build to be honest, not sure on stack heights on the dura ones though ? with it being a road headset , would the seals be pants?

mynchiboy have you a picture of that A9 and what year was it available from ?

Mr Universe":viakj42y said:
Thanks mynchiboy , forgot about stack heights, cheers :) , I'm quite warming to the idea of a dura ace one at the minute, the Xtr might be a little too new for the build to be honest, not sure on stack heights on the dura ones though ? with it being a road headset , would the seals be pants?

mynchiboy have you a picture of that A9 and what year was it available from ?

No problemo! There's loads of images of the A9 on the web, a link to one of them is here: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... trohstr455

Note that they come in two flavours - alloy and steel - and some have either roller bearings or conventional ball bearings. They've been around for years and so should compliment the build nicely. I've a black steel A9 fitted to my 1991 Dave Yates and it looks the part.

I'm not 100% on the stack height on a DA headset, the 105 however is known to be very shallow indeed and is a good fix for one who has been over zealous with trimming a fork steerer. I think the seals should be okay as long as everything is well greased and installed and you can find out the height with some internet digging I'm sure. Hope this helps :)

Back