Road Ace

remasters10

Retro Newbie
hi, just bought a 1988 raleigh road ace in good condition with 600 ultegra 7 speed groupset.
What is the largest cog i can fit on the back, presently 11-21, but my 57 yr old knees are protesting on the hills :(
Also is it possible to fit 8speed block and would this sync with the existing derailleur?
Or should I keep as is and miss out the hills.

Thanks Pete

I would think the rear mech would take up to a 28 with no problem, fitting an 8 speed block on a 7 speed set up will be a nightmare, just one thought have you considered changing the small chainring for something smaller, on an 88' bike I would imagine it is a 42t inner you should be able to find 39t inners fairly easily :?: ;) :D

would i have to swop out the full block or just the top cog?
Ive got an old mtb with a 7 speed hyperglide block but that would probably too big?
Also would I need a new longer chain?

Thanks Pete.

Hi,

Congratulations on the new bike - I have a Raleigh Road Ace and absolutely love it, such a well made frame in 531c with 531 forks. I rescued mine as a frame only from the local tip and at the moment have rebuilt it into a fixie but it'll probably end up back as Raleigh intended sometime in its life as I have most of the parts to do it.

Anyway, totally agree with Kermit above - I'd probably be looking at putting a smaller chain ring on the cranks, an easy probably most cost-effective solution.

Edit: As others got in before I pressed reply - the 28t freewheel would also work but don't buy one with more speeds than your current setup as it'll not index correctly (or at all) as I learned recently.

Enjoy riding it!

I just bought a Sunrace 13t - 28t, 7 speed, cassette and chain on ebay for 15 quid delivered, nice shiny good quality thing. Would recommend. Got it from "The-cycles-wholesaler" item number 111179581681.

I had the ex600 i think, back in the 80s.
This is a 1988 model according to serial number, same frameset, just different group. Could probably do with better wheels too, its fitted with alesa rims on ultegra hubs.
Nice bike S1m0nr good see it saved from the skip!

I had the same problem on my new Peugeot, it has 52/42 chainrings up front and had a 13t - 21t cassette on the back. Makes you wonder if it was imported from Holland or maybe it is Sean Yates old team bike :eek:)

Back