Buying a TREK Y

dalecooper

Senior Retro Guru
I'm in the process of buying a TREK Y22 from 1997. Seller sent me some photo's and told me what's wrong with it. Rear derailleurhanger is bust so it had to be replaced. Is it also a good idea to change the bushings and the pivot?? The only problem is that they are not available anymore.. And are there more specific things to look if i go over there (200 km away...)?? I mean framewise and other weak points?? Rest of the parts is easy to replace with shimano. Thanks for the help!!

suburbanreuben":2177p6d5 said:
Next time you might not be so lucky!

Had to read that twice PMSL.

As with all retro things maybe the OP just wanted one regardless BITD.

Hmm are they that bad? Read some story's here and got the impression that the owners were quite pleased with them. And riding one is a good idea but not possible they are quite rare. I know the suspension is outdated but you can't compare with todays suspension. I think every brand have their specific problems.

I'm sure there are plenty of Reliant Robin owners who will rave about how great a car they are..... still doesn't mean that they are any good ;)

I guess the only way to know for sure is to try one out for yourself, I can see the bearings/bushings being a bit tricky to find though (I used to have a Proflex and bushings and rear shocks for those were not easy to come by either).

Hhmm... When new i rode a Trek y5 without problems. I've recently bougth a '98 Y22 and i think it rides great! And i love the sound of it when riding and shifting gear!

Back