Old School Cyclocross Pedals

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,

I've been looking around at old cyclocross stuff, and was wondering what people did about pedals before clipless.

Presumably the road pedals with shoe plates that grip the pedals weren't much use - more of a hindrance when dismounting and remounting...

Was there any special modification people made for 'cross pedals though? Perhaps something like this, with a flat plate to allow easier entry and exit:

http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-cl ... 83259.html

Cheers,

Johnny

Indeed, a dubble (strong) set of toeclips. And mounted with bolts on each side of the pedals. To keep room under the pedal for the shoe plates. Which were sometimes mounted with some spikes or football studs for extra grips. Those were the days.... :)

I personally wouldn't have used quill style pedals for CX - to small! I (and many others) used the cheap Lyotard ones like this -

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... 9&AbsPos=5

Plenty wide enough and quite open so that mud falls through - unlike the ones in the link with that weird 'plate' inside (very impractical).

Double toe clips are easy to make with a pop-rivetter. Just drill out the rivets near the strap loop, cut the loop off one clip and then rivet them both together. Make sure the 'smooth' part of the rivet is on the inside! Attach to the pedal in the normal way through both clips.

BTW, if it was really muddy I didn't bother with clips at all. It was easier to ride and dismount wearing a pair of walking boots or similar.

Some people use these -

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... 3&AbsPos=6

mattsccm":291db37m said:
Barry Davies in here somewhere. There's an expert.
And here he is in full flight! Using wide pedals like what I mentioned (I think!) - and side-pull brakes! Must have been a dry day. I actually reckon that it's one of his team road bikes as it has double chainwheel as well and he usually rode with canti's and a single ring with chain guards.

Taken from the December 1972 issue of 'International Cycle Sport' and I can't unfortunately give the photographer a credit.

Just imagine, over 40 years ago - and in COLOUR!

Attachments

• BaDaICSDec72.A.jpg
    BaDaICSDec72.A.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 685
Brilliant! Thanks for all the replies. Particularly like that Barrry Davies photo, Ned. Proper vintage hair and 'tache too. Not enough vintage cyclocross stuff around the net really.

I've found an old pair of those Lyotard pedals in the man cave, and I think I've got a matching set of Afa toeclips so I'll probably have a go at riveting them together at some point. I had a look at one of my cyclocross books and some of the photos from the 70s seem to show riders using the same wide pedals.

Seems like the flat plates inside the pedal cage aren't really needed. As Dutchie suggests they would only get in the way of the shoe plates.

Thanks again,

Johnny

The plates would just stop you pushing the mud through the pedal, couple of muddy run ups and you'd be all over the place. Probably more suited for older touring shoes (no plates) and touring rather than CX.......

Thanks for the comments guys too kind...
Pdeals were Lyotard double sided alloy ones - 2 pairs of toe clips -1 pair of leather toe straps, then the modifications began..
Firstly the tops of the pedals were filed flat one one side at the front and rear which allowed you to get into the pedals quickly..
The toe clips were taken apart and then re-rivited together, and weight was added onto the bottom of the toe clip so it hung down making it quicker to get in.
The final mod was to cut the toe strap.. the idea was to leave the section under where the shoe plate fitted empty, so as the mud did not collect in the pedal.. the ends were fitted in the side plates and bent over and pop-rivet together..
Some people added screws at the back of the pedal, but they usually ended up with bloody legs when they slipped geting on...

if you think that is complicated, try making shoes !!!!!
not to mention wool shirts and shorts...
After the North Of England champs at a very wet Keithley my wet shorts/jersey/socks weighed 61/2 lbs.. so the skin suit was born !!!!

orbeas":2wohr8gk said:
if you think that is complicated, try making shoes !!!!!
not to mention wool shirts and shorts...
After the North Of England champs at a very wet Keithley my wet shorts/jersey/socks weighed 61/2 lbs.. so the skin suit was born !!!!

I've heard a few tales from Steve Douce about the palaver involved in DIY 'cross shoes (attaching bits of old tub tread to the sole to give extra grip, etc.) back in the day. Thank goodness for off-the-shelf MTB shoes! Simon Burney's training manual, in first edition guise, has some good advice on clip & strap pedals, as off-road clipless ones were only just appearing when the book was written.

David

When I was at College in Bangor I used to window shop at Barry's shop after going to Ying Wahs chippy. I still have some lovely Campag wool tights bought from there.

Back