BSA Javelin Weird Fork Dropout Distantace

pav_infidel

Retro Newbie
Hello Folks,

The good people of Bike Radar Forum sent me here for your wisdom, I hope you can help me.

I bought a BSA javelin frame on ebay to restore for practice and have already hit my first obstacle.

It seems to have an 85mm dropout on the front fork, which baffled me. I was expecting a 96mm and was going to try a cheeky spring to a 100mm hub, but I don't think I'll be springing 85mm to 100mm without some gym work and a serious risk to my health when I finally ride it.

Is this normal for this type/age of bike or have I got a freak fork? Also, anyone know where I might find a hub for it?

All help appreciated folks!

(ps. I measured inside surface of the dropouts to inside surface)

It'll be the old size that you got on 26 x 1 3/8" wheels for stirrup brakes, so since it's a BSA it could have been up to the early 70's despite that size and those brakes being pretty much obsolete by that point. You can force a 100mm front wheel in but it is a properly tight squeeze. Also check the axle diameter because the old ones were thinner too. What you might be able to do is shave the lock nuts down (or look for some really thin ones) so you're not pulling the forks apart so much.

Thanks Jonny,

I'll check out the axle diameter and have a look for some thin locknuts and try it out with and old wheel rather than buying a new one just yet.

Failing that i suppose i could get a new fork.

If its 60/70's then I would expect it to be a Raleigh, with 26 TPI thread. Has it got the octagonal Raleigh head set.
Raleigh forks could easily be pulled out a bit, harder to get the ends parallel.

Yep it had the octagonal headset if i remember correctly. It was very pitted though so i did away with it. If its a Raleigh thread bb i imagine ill have issues replacing that so might try and save the old one.

this framehas turned out to be a lot more hassle than the Raleigh banana i did :)

Back