RIH

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I know, I know... a terrible quality pic (but it is the best of the batch :roll: ) =>

2558821609_0115533b33_b.jpg

Picked it up several days ago. A neat RIH with Roval wheels, Weinmann aero brakes, Super Record and Turbo seat :) After it was retired from racing it was in use for touring purposes by an old man, hence the stem. Still the old man didn't appreciate the position on the bike, so that is why it went to me now.

RIH is a Dutch brand. Many track titles including worlds are conquered on RIH frames.

From the outside the Weinmann brakes look similar in construction like the Deltas, but with rubber housing instead of shiny aluminium.

On the Roval wheels: Can anybody tell me what vintage they are?

I don't know in detail, but they were around from about the late seventies to late eighties, I think. I'm willing to be corrected on that.

A mid eighties date would match the Super Record components and Weinman brakes. Is there a patent date on the rear derailleur?

one-eyed_jim":27bgcdy6 said:
I don't know in detail, but they were around from about the late seventies to late eighties, I think. I'm willing to be corrected on that.

A mid eighties date would match the Super Record components and Weinman brakes. Is there a patent date on the rear derailleur?

Okay, late 70s to late 80s. Could very be the case. I didn't rule out the option that they were a somewhat more recent addition to the bike. It are the looks. Maybe they simply look a little ahead of their time.

The Super Record mech says PAT81. The mech is very light, probably lighter than my carbon SRAM mechs. I like the ti hard ware in it.

Btw I have another exotic wheelset from France. With Pelissier 2000 hubs. The Pelissiers need some service, particularly new cartridge bearings. The Rovals spin smoothly.

So Cool this topic triggers so many nice links. Thanks.

legrandefromage":2f39okri said:
Rear mech is 1981

Weinmann Delta Pro - Darth Vader's personal choice.

http://bikieray.im-rc.com/content_gallery.html

Hmm.. nice essamble of aero brakes. I like the aero brakes. They are aesthetically very pleasing. Due to their more clean, symetric look for sure. In my little collection the Modolo and McMahon fail. The McMahons look like a real piece of art. Record Deltas are beautifull as well. Love the AX brakes. Appreciate their subtleness. The rubber covered ones are probably a great concept, but rubber does not really give a quality look to a bike.

Old Ned":3g52iov0 said:

Ned,

Mine are the low flange models, the 2000 Professional. They are black with a silver center. They came from a '81 Koga FullPro-L, an aero style bike. Actually the Rovals are the more appropriate wheels for that bike :D

Now it is on aero bikes: There is an interesting Univega Aero on US eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-UNIVEGA-AER ... dZViewItem

Frame is by Miyata and is identical to the Aero Miyata and Koga FullPro-A. Fillet brazed, drop shaped tubing, internal cable routing, low profile seat clamp, flat blade fork etc. Aero bikes are way cool.

I do not know of a RIH aero model. Another Dutch manufacturer, Gazelle, did an aero model. Can be viewed on this scan by Pistol13 =>

gazelle8.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back