Viper Scandium - Weight Weenie build

Re: Viper Scandium 19lb Weight Weenie build

I love em :D

Just had my first ride on them today - the look of them has grown on me but I think they're going to be coming off soon. They feel pretty nice and perform well but the 2.2s to me make me feel like I'm riding on balloons. Too fat to suit the whippet that they're on as well - in fact the moulding spikes on each tyre flick against the V-brake boots!

Right, the White Race Kings are off (anyone want to buy them?!) and it's back on with the Kenda Klimax.

Also I finally managed to get the compete bike on a set of digital scales for the first time. It comes out at 19.45lb / 8.845kg. That's with 65g bar ends fitted, about 10g of chainstay protector and some heavier Ritchey grips that I swapped the ultralight ones for. So there's a free 100g / 1/4lb that could come off that straight away.

Just read this thread. That's an impressive end result! I'm just about to start a new 'light' build so this is giving me some ideas. What's next for it?

L33LEG":1esc8l9r said:
Just read this thread. That's an impressive end result! I'm just about to start a new 'light' build so this is giving me some ideas. What's next for it?
I think I'm pretty much happy as it is now. There are a few odd grams to spare here and there but this is my main ride and I need it to work reliably - I still don't feel I've compromised performace for weight too much anywhere on the bike really. A couple of things have been on my mind:

A lighter crankset, but the M752 + XT BB is actually a pretty light combination (856g togehter), and is just super-reliable. I did get hold of a KCNC crankset which shaved off somewhere around 170g, but after a week of fussy installation, retightening bolts, occasional creaking etc I decided that it just wasn't worth it. I'd consider an M970 XTR set though, which might take off 70g or so.

A boutique cassette, maybe? But it probably wouldn't save too much over the Dura Ace.

And finally - I'm still tempted to put my 502g Trigon carbon forks on this to take it sub-17.5lbs and see how much I miss the bounce...

Another upgrade - an unexpected one given that I thought I wouldn't find wheels much lighter than then 1st generation Crossmaxes. But I picked up a great pair of wheels for a very good price on here, American Classic hubs (the superlight retro ones) on Mavic X517s with DT Swiss spokes. They weigh in at 1422g for the pair! Haven't fitted them yet but it's a 1/4lb that I wasn't expecting to be able to save.

Another little update after a few tweaks. The Avid Mags are light but I got the idea of tuning them a little. I added red tension adjuster bolts as pictured for about 75p each (M3 x 35mm, so I had to cut them down) - just for effect, but probably saves 2g off the overall weight. I'm also replacing the pad carrier bolts and nuts with Ti ones - not sure how many grams will be saved (10-15?) but they were £10 for the set.

The rest had a bit of a white makeover - my WTB Shadow SLT matches the build nicely and I had a lighteight set of white grips very much like the Ritchey WCS ones, only about 5g lighter. And off come the bar ends, since I haven't used them for ages. I haven't put the American Classic/X517 wheelset on yet as I'm waiting for some strapping tape to arrive for the rims, since that's supposed to be good and works out about 7-8g per wheel.

Haven't yet calculated the new weight but it'll be under 19lb complete (inc. pedals).

Attachments

• Red brakes.jpg
    Red brakes.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 1,372
  • Vipe white.jpg
    Vipe white.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 1,372

Well it's been a while since I've updated this build. However, after some soul-searching I've taken the plunge and gone and bought some disc wheels. Couldn't really resist the chance to put onto this...

file.php

...a set of these:

mtb-tubeless-alpa.jpg

The result should look pretty sweet I think. Next to start thinking about weight weenie options for discs and brakes (my first discs, so I need to learn fast). Possibly some tubeless tyres too... Maybe it's time I stopped obsessing about the weight since I've got a road bike that scratches that itch now :)

Just realised there have been some other updates on the bike since my last photo too, M970 shifters & M952 brake levers, a beautiful Dura Ace long cage rear mech with a full red ano blinging, White WTB Rocket Ti saddle.

Back