Who told me these babys wouldn't work! YOUR ALL WRONG !!!

Scant,

I do have Graftons and they soon will come on the SkyExpension. They are funny, but they use a ridiculous small adjustment screw. My 1.5mm key is already too big! It needs 1mm probably. There are many seals and o-ring, 16 in total! They can easily get lost when you don't store them well. You often encounter incomplete pairs on abay. I already experienced that the brakes do not go smooth enough with original seals. Maybe they are worn or they never weren't up to the job, I don't know. Anyway I made a new setup with 1 original seal for the back and two nylon rings for the front. It goes way smoother! Now it is to see how it works in real live.

Discs are of course producing way more stopping power. Some will stop you by looking at the lever :LOL: Even people going about half my speed think they can't do without them. This is the way our world works. Do you know I sometimes encounter kids who think I can't go into the woods with my rigid mtb :shock: :LOL:

very true Elev12k :)
I enjoy riding bikes from fully rigid to beaucoup travel. ride what you feel is most fun :D

the hair size allen key required for graftons is a world famous joke I think :LOL: again I love the way they look, although I lost patience with them in use.

This thread is all about bike evolution . when only cantis existed they were fine . V came along and were better . Now disk are even better . Doesnt mean that cantis did not work , simply that there are better brakes now .

cchris2lou":1lubnxcj said:
This thread is all about bike evolution . when only cantis existed they were fine . V came along and were better . Now disk are even better . Doesnt mean that cantis did not work , simply that there are better brakes now .

I'll happily agree with that nice summary :D

scant":2doans6h said:
yup, ridden a pro stop. never liked the annoying rattle of the rotor personally.

I hear what you're saying about annoying rattling on.

cantis in the wet on a decent length downhill/ gradient downhill dont work!
the point? retroking wanted brakes that work & cantis dont work very well in the dry, hardly at all in the wet! I dont see what the argument is, someone wants brakes that stop, I suggest disk brakes. Pretty simple.

Nonsense! You talk in absolutes about something that is relative. Have you not seen road racers descending mountains which make wales look like chump change in the wet? They use road calipers which aren't a patch on cantis!
Chris is correct, it's all about evolution. I think most people were happy with cantis until vs came along. Then discs came along and they were where it was at.

when you come to wales & leave the flatlands of warwick john I'd gladly illustrate my point :LOL:
.... although even you've recently got a bike with disc brakes on, so point made yeh ;)

For what purpose? What's your point? I can't help but feel you've other things to prove here Mike ;)

I've ridden in Wales and all over the UK thanks.

To go back to the original point del wanted to know what brakes worked. He's happy with his Onza cantis.

John":1up3u1qn said:
scant":1up3u1qn said:
yup, ridden a pro stop. never liked the annoying rattle of the rotor personally.

I hear what you're saying about annoying rattling on.

cantis in the wet on a decent length downhill/ gradient downhill dont work!
the point? retroking wanted brakes that work & cantis dont work very well in the dry, hardly at all in the wet! I dont see what the argument is, someone wants brakes that stop, I suggest disk brakes. Pretty simple.

Nonsense! You talk in absolutes about something that is relative. Have you not seen road racers descending mountains which make wales look like chump change in the wet? They use road calipers which aren't a patch on cantis!
Chris is correct, it's all about evolution. I think most people were happy with cantis until vs came along. Then discs came along and they were where it was at.

when you come to wales & leave the flatlands of warwick john I'd gladly illustrate my point :LOL:
.... although even you've recently got a bike with disc brakes on, so point made yeh ;)

For what purpose? What's your point? I can't help but feel you've other things to prove here Mike ;)

I've ridden in Wales and all over the UK thanks.

To go back to the original point del wanted to know what brakes worked. He's happy with his Onza cantis.

you got me john. I just want to invite you to wales for a welsh ride style kicking ;) :LOL: u brave enuff to turn up? Hell me & curly made it to that bmx course in cannock, return the complement yeh? :LOL:

roadies dont ride extensively in anything like the mud/grit/grinding paste condiitons mtbs do (the pads wouldnt last). so not a fair comparison. infact please keep the roadie talk on the roadie forum :roll:

yeh happy for Del he likes the onza, tho as stated above interesting that others despise them.

scant":3a95vty3 said:
you got me john. I just want to invite you to wales for a welsh ride style kicking ;) :LOL: u brave enuff to turn up? Hell me & curly made it to that bmx course in cannock, return the complement yeh? :LOL:

:LOL:

Ah, good old fashioned banter :)

In 10 years time, we'll all be sat around saying how poor disc brakes are compared to the new electro magnetic hub decelleration devices we'll be using.

For the record, I used to ride with John when he lived in the Cotswolds and whilst there might not be many mountains, there are certainly some wickedly steep, technical and long downhills to be had, if you can be arsed to find them.

He may be a bit of a roadie now, but he used to be hard :LOL:

Russell":10tgikwp said:
For the record, I used to ride with John when he lived in the Cotswolds and whilst there might not be many mountains, there are certainly some wickedly steep, technical and long downhills to be had, if you can be arsed to find them.

He may be a bit of a roadie now, but he used to be hard :LOL:

Faint and damming praise indeed Russ :D

Hard I may once have been, but I was never man enough to try riding down the bank by devils chimney......

I try and use Pauls cantilevers on as many bikes as I can, the Stoplights are so easy to set up that even I can get good results from them ;)

Stu

Back