Help identifying year/model of this frame please? *Updated*

Re: Help identifying year/model of this frame please? *Updat

m4nc3r":gd5hrjk2 said:
Haha true, I think I will leave all that excitement for my boys though, my oldest turns 3 this year so planning on restoring my first ever bike to use to teach him in the summer lol need to find those other pace forks though as the crown on this kona now was mine XD
He didn't do things by halves, taught his 3 yr old daughter to ride on a custom chopped and fitted bike with full 6x speed lx set. If I can give my boy half of what I had I'll be happy lol
love it!

i hope you are his mum, and not his dad....make up and all :shock:

Putting a year on the frame, I would say 94 at least because of the rear brake. Dog collar appeared in that year. The early models of hei hei had a titanium noodle (similar to early brodie frames) to route the cable (90-91) then bridge only like the usual frames until the dog collar, right?

Also the rear dropouts changed, the early versions did not have the bullet type tube ends at the rear hub but machined one piece dropout and the first ones were made by merlin in Somerville but I dont remember if dropouts were signed or not.

The 17" appeared in 95.

And, I dont remember the year but at some point, top tubes got longer for the same size as I had my frame changed and the top tube was not the same length.]

je me souviens":16ukgigr said:
... one piece dropout and the first ones were made by merlin in Somerville but I dont remember if dropouts were signed or not.
interesting you have more info about that?

the dropouts looked a lot like the ones on the titanium P2 fork, sorry my frame was stolen and I got no pictures of that.

For the merlin hei hei models there has been some press release with frames having both merlin and kona identification on them and I think the first apparition in the kona releases showed it that way. I would have to ask 24 pouce to see if he has some copys of the press release.

It's been a long time ago, I'm not even sure it shared the merlin bottom bracket or not, as I did not have it in hand for long at the time.

you mean the merlin pic in the 1990er catalogue (at the tbg time)?

5.jpg

never saw more detailed pics from a real merlin kona titanium.

the later hei hei were made by sandvik also with the old style dropouts (no merlin dropouts).

91Inner4.jpg

for the dropouts yes for the merlin part I would say earlier but around same period. Before going to sandvik for titanium there has been a merlin run. That was at the time of TBG. At the time I was a wrench in a local bikeshop in Quebec and got kona frames to race, got to see a merlin/kona badged hei hei not in my size, continued on explosif frames for a while then got a sandvik hei hei.

could you see any differences to a normal merlin frame?

If I remember correctly, the welded titanium noodle for the rear brake at the seat tube, and I cant remember if it was a front slot in the seat tube like other konas, and the bb was merlin.

On the merlin point I tought you had it all covered, curious that this one past without you got to know. Press release was made in MBA I would say, they had special pages for that kind of stuff

here is an old link on retrobike
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35029
there talking about rebadged merlin frames and a link to mtbr. Maybe more to dig there.

Back