Recent Raleigh Ebay Purchase

MrW":3j31w4nr said:
Hmmm... Interesting

The frame number means

W - Worksop (Carlton built) if prior to 1981, otherwise built at the Lightweight Unit at Raleigh
A - January built frame
6 - either 1976 or 1986 (don't think it will be 1996, but I could be wrong...)

Has it been painted? I don't recall ever seeing that paint scheme, or for that matter the decals.

Are the gear changed brazed on, or band on?

The chainset looks older than the rest of the bike

The Shimano 105 Golden Arrow brakes date it at approx 1985/1986 I believe

What is the rest of the group set?

Are the wheels steel rims?

I'd have to say that the internal cable routing is throwing me, as every Raleigh I have seen from the 80's had brazed on top tube cable guides, it's the later 1990's bikes that tended to have the internal routing

Could just be a 'bitsa' bike, i.e. a frame with lots of donor parts

Shimano 105 Golden Arrow brakes (along with the other GA items) were standard on my 1984 Corsa.

No other comments though.

Jon.

Shimano 105 Golden Arrow groupset was available from 1983 to 1986 according to Velobase

I've just compared the fork from your picture, i agree the look very much the later type. I think the frame and fork are from two different complete bikes and been placed together sometime in the past, with components from an earlier bike being placed on the later year frame. I have a 2011 Tiagra groupset inc wheels that i plan to fit, after that at least it will be constant. should be an interesting ride once it's built.

Bananasplit":1a4sf0nr said:
I've just compared the fork from your picture, i agree the look very much the later type. I think the frame and fork are from two different complete bikes and been placed together sometime in the past, with components from an earlier bike being placed on the later year frame. I have a 2011 Tiagra groupset inc wheels that i plan to fit, after that at least it will be constant. should be an interesting ride once it's built.

You 'might' find that the 2011 Tiagra wheels are spaced to wide for this frame...

The chrome forks on my 1985 Competition are 531 as you can see from the picture.

The more I think about the more I come to the decision that based solely on the internal cable routing this is later than 1986. Guess it could be 1996, but nothing else points in that direction.

Is the paint original? The decals look like nothing I've ever seen before! The rear drop outs may reveal a little more about it, as W prefix frames tend to have Gipiemme ones at the very least, (well, they did in the 80's!)

Just wish I could find some more info on the frame I've just bought..

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=274341

Thats a really interesting frame, very modern looking.

I think the Tiagra wheels around 130mm spacing and should fit at a push, they would be the same that i fitted to the father in laws RX100.

The father in law reckons he purchased his bike around 91-92, so were looking in the right decade.

The paint job and decals are completely different, maybe a custom design done by somebody who wanted it to be different, they don't apear to be a factory scheme.

I have a Raleigh Richmond 531 frame and fork with Gipiemme drop outs which are different to this one, they don't look anything special, but will get a picture posted.

I'am happy to accept that its a 501 frame with a possible 531 fork, i will still chase for a frame name though, for closure's sake lol.

It was sold as a 1992, maybe 1994 to me....

The previous owner says it was a replacement frame for a Dyna Tech he had that broke, and he stopped racing in 1994, so this must pre date that...

I'm not so sure, and can't find any details on it anywhere!

It came from Ireland, and Raleigh Ireland have today told me its a Raleigh Avenger, built from Steel with Canti-Lever brakes...

It clearly isn't a Raleigh Avenger then!!

Do you have any threads on any of your other bikes, would like some inseperation for a new colour scheme on the frankin-bike lo?

Bananasplit":229sahtd said:
No worries, will post me some more pictures after work, i had only picked up yesterday and not had much time to look at it.
I had recently restored a Raleigh RX100 with the same cable routing, which was a reyolds 501 tube set, but this had twin bottle bosses.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=271798

I meant to mention, I came across this 1997 brochure on here, and it features a Raleigh Eclat which bears more than a passing resemblance to the 'RX100' you restored in your other thread...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/8 ... +_NCM_.pdf

Back