Raleigh Pioneer

Joe of Loath

Old School Hero
Just bought a raleigh pioneer frame and fork on eBay, £25 plus courier. 23" frame and 700c wheels mean I might actually have a retro MTB (assuming I can fit MTB tyres) I can ride.

Is it going to have all the weird raleigh threading, or did they do away with that before the 1990s? I'm assuming its going to need a new BB at least.

700c wheels???

most MTB's (retro ones) use 26" wheels.

you can use cyclo-x or hybrid bike tyres, but if you wanted to fit 26" wheels and tyres you may run into problems with the brake setup.

Any pics of the bike?

Raleigh pioneers were 700c hybrids with MTB geometry and near MTB tyre clearances. Basically a retro 29er. Since I'm too tall for 26" bikes, I want a retro 29er :D

This is what I bought:

$(KGrHqFHJ!0FI8-u04OMBSSsGuTZjw~~60_58.JPG

Going to replace near enough everything, preferably on a budget. Going to be a long term project I think.

Your not too tall for 26ers although you might look like your on a BMX. I'm 6'6", my bikes range from 20" to 23" and most are 26ers.
As for the Pioneer, its a trekking/hybid bike and should be able to fit tyres around the 38-42mm width maybe more. It is not a retro 29er and the geometry though mtb'esque is not fully there. It will make a decent general purpose tough bike though.

No I really am, I've had three and they've all looked awful and handled like crap. The uber long head tube makes you feel unstable, and having loads of seat post means you're generally over the back axle, making climbing impossible and jumping sketchy.

It's 23", 1" smaller than my road bike, 2" bigger than my MTB. Not sure on top tube length as I can't find the geometry anywhere.

Latest posts

Back