Offroad challenge...ideas?

This is all probably in the wrong bit of the forum, isn't it? Anyway. South Downs would need to be there and back for a proper ride. It's 100ish miles each way, so 4-5 leisurely days. Very little road -- some lanes between Winchester and Petersfield, but the rest of it the only time you touch a road is to cross it.

You're probably right Mike. Where shall I move it...?

I know, I'll put it here.

I've done several long distance multi day rides over the past few years, and they always leave me wanted to do more.

The C2C is very good but probably isn't long or tough enough to sustain a five day ride even if you are carrying a lot of gear.
You could always incorporate a there and back approach by using the Rievers route, Hadrian's Cycleway or the Walney to Wear Cycleway.

I've done a variation on the Tim Woodcock Coast to Coast which took four days and the terrain was much more challenging. We carried all our stuff but stayed in YHAs or B&Bs to keep weight down.

Also cycle toured/camped in France and Switzerland which is so much better than trying to do the same in the UK. Better roads, better attitudes, better campsites, etc, etc.

I'd love to do something similar in Scotland. The attraction of wild camping and bothies is a strong one.

One piece of advice I will give is to choose your riding companions wisely. There is nothing worse than listening someone complaining every day because the route is too hilly, it's raining, they didn't sleep, their bike is creaking and they need a poo.

...Mark I'll let you know perhaps we could do the South Downs just for a laugh anyway!
...Mike sorry if this is in the wrong place! And thanks for the input.
...Paul thanks for the ideas, a part of me does fancy something a bit "continental"! As for riding companions I can't vouch for Makster not needing a poo! :LOL: But my best mate (since 3yrs and my best man etc) is a stirling chap who never lets anything get him down definately has a "can do" attitude! Me however may complain about the climbs :LOL:
...velomanic, A definate maybe for an up north ride!

Thanks again guys

In the UK, planning a big tour that avoids lengthy road sections is not easy. I wonder if anyone has published any such routes?
I used to do rides like this many years ago before family life took up so much of my time. The most successful approach back then was to combine long distance bridle-paths like the Ridgeway and South Downs way, with river and canal towpaths. Today you also incorporate traffic free Sustrans routes and other cycleways built along disused railway lines, like the downs link that joins the South Downs way to bridleway sections of the North Downs way. These routes are usually well maintained and waymarked so that frequent map reading stops are not essential for successful navigation. You can of course use SatNavs to guide you. This allows for the pre-planning of complex routes produced from connecting numerous bridleways and tracks. The problem here is that especially in Winter, bridleway riding can be heavy going, even impossible. Also in late mid to late Summer too many bridleway sections are allowed to get seriously overgrown.

Yes, the Ridgeway is good. I have also done the Marin Rough Ride, which was very very hilly! We stayed overnight at Mike Oldfields old house (now a guest house), on top of a hill, next-door to the UKs highest golf course.

Or...you could always do a 'dirty weekend' in the Elan Valley with Clive Powell...the riding is awesome!!! The pubs and the locals are...erm...interesting!! :shock: It's a brilliant weekend of mountain biking and drinking! :eek:

http://www.clivepowell-mtb.co.uk/

:)

I've done a couple of multiday trips including the Coast to Coast this year with the misses and had a great time.

Next year I'm planning on doing a variation of the Welsh Coast to Coast taking in a selection of trail centres on route:

http://www.acyclingteam.co.uk/welsh-coast-to-coast/

It might be worth looking YHA's website and trying to work out a rough route from a place of interest back you your house hopping from hostle to hostle.

One tip if you make your house the final desination then when you get there you can collapse and sleep as opposed to trying to juggle trains etc to get home.

Finally have a nose at www.ctc.org.uk

Done a few coast to coast rides, c2c might be too easy but you could add detours or loops and make it longer and more interesting good tracks mixed with road, did the southern upland way years ago back then it was very wet and boggy making riding hard with lots of pushing and carrying might be better now and there is an alternative route with more riding taking in the seven staines, lakes coast to coast would be a tough 4 days but again could be altered, fort william to montrose is a good 4 day ride and takes in mount Keen, The West Highland way could be a good one or maybe the Wales North to South not done this but believe its a six day ride. One thing ive found good is to stop in a pub if you are a group you can get some cheap deals and your guaranteed food and drink you meet in the bar while getting ready and when youve had enough to drink just stagger up to bed!! Saves carrying all your gear so you can ride longer distances

Back