Recent Raleigh Ebay Purchase

Bananasplit

Devout Dirtbag
Hi good morning, can anybody help me identify this Raleigh bike, the rear brake cable has an internal route.
Any input would be great.

Attachments

• purple2.png
    purple2.png
    150.1 KB · Views: 1,066
No worries, will post me some more pictures after work, i had only picked up yesterday and not had much time to look at it.
I had recently restored a Raleigh RX100 with the same cable routing, which was a reyolds 501 tube set, but this had twin bottle bosses.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=271798

Pictures as follows, serial number on bottom bracket reads WA6000082?

Attachments

• purple3.jpg
    purple3.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 966
  • purple4.jpg
    purple4.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 965
  • purple5.jpg
    purple5.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 965
  • purple6.jpg
    purple6.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 965
  • purple7.jpg
    purple7.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 965
  • purple8.jpg
    purple8.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 966
  • purple9.jpg
    purple9.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 966
Hmmm... Interesting

The frame number means

W - Worksop (Carlton built) if prior to 1981, otherwise built at the Lightweight Unit at Raleigh
A - January built frame
6 - either 1976 or 1986 (don't think it will be 1996, but I could be wrong...)

Has it been painted? I don't recall ever seeing that paint scheme, or for that matter the decals.

Are the gear changed brazed on, or band on?

The chainset looks older than the rest of the bike

The Shimano 105 Golden Arrow brakes date it at approx 1985/1986 I believe

What is the rest of the group set?

Are the wheels steel rims?

I'd have to say that the internal cable routing is throwing me, as every Raleigh I have seen from the 80's had brazed on top tube cable guides, it's the later 1990's bikes that tended to have the internal routing

Could just be a 'bitsa' bike, i.e. a frame with lots of donor parts

The brake set seems to Shimano 600, not sure about the crank, possabley a suntour unit, front a rear mech a shimano but pre indexed gears. The shifters are a clamp on design with cheap plastic levers.
I dated the frame aswel as either an 76 or 86, the components are certainly pre 86, so i would reckon some has been messing around with it at so point.
The frame is very very similar to the reynolds 501 RX100 of my father in laws but that has only one sset of bottle bosse's as this has two, but no sure about the forks though, theres no provision for mudguards which would surgest a racier model.
The gent said the bike has been in a garage for years and doesn't know much about it, i noticed the rear cable layout and presumed it be a 501 frame.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty sure they are 105 Golden Arrow brakes, as per my 1986 Team Corsa:

Can you take a pic of the rear drop out?

Forks on my 1986 Team Corsa:

Forks on my 1985 Competition (these are 531):

They 'look' like the latter

Thats brilliant, i,am i have a picture of the rear drop out, if not i'll take one when i get home. I have brought the seat post into work to measure with digital calliper set, i'll post the measurements shortly.
Thanks for you help so far.

If it is a Raleigh, then it's unlikely to be 18-23 tubing given it's W prefix on the frame number

I can't remember the seat post sizes off hand, but 26.7mm sounds like Reynolds 501 to me..

It's odd, because looking at the lugs on your frame they are very similar to the 'lower end' Raleigh ones, which includes the likes of the Record Sprint which had 501 tubing.

If you look at the lugs on my 85 and 86 W prefix frames above you will see that they are more ornate..

Back