***ALL SOLD*** Campagnolo Super Record components

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Campagnolo Super Record: Brakes, FD, Seatpost and Cranks

Not selling? Must be high prices, so that new drop!

How do you identify the SR components with the Titanium bolts etc?

Titanium was used on the SR rear mechs only (apart from for the axles in rare bottom brackets). I think the use of alloy brake shoes occured around the time of the second generation 'triangulated' brake calipers I'm not sure they were avaialble any earlier than that. The difference, to my understanding, between NR and SR brakes was indeed down entirely to the brake levers -- drilled for SR, plain for NR with the campag logo boxed, and plain on GS levers without the box.

z979":3qjz2aqs said:
Titanium was used on the SR rear mechs only (apart from for the axles in rare bottom brackets). I think the use of alloy brake shoes occured around the time of the second generation 'triangulated' brake calipers I'm not sure they were avaialble any earlier than that. The difference, to my understanding, between NR and SR brakes was indeed down entirely to the brake levers -- drilled for SR, plain for NR with the campag logo boxed, and plain on GS levers without the box.

I though this too about the V1/V2 calipers but there were some early G1 Nuovo Record Caliper sets which came with SR groupsets which had the alloy pad holders - http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.a ... &AbsPos=41

I've had a few of these alloy holder V1 caliper sets come through our workshop over the years. There were also some titanium axled NR hubsets which were rumored to have been badged as SR but these were legendarily brittle - http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.a ... &AbsPos=71

It's usual IMHO to assume a SR-equipped bike to have the following to be a proper SR bike...

SR rear mech
SR front mech
NR Strada Crankset with SR-specific rings
NR hubs
NR/SR calipers with alloy holders
SR levers
NR DT shifters
SR headset

With the 'possible' exception of the calipers I'd argue that without these the bike hasn't really got a correct SR groupset.

I think alloy shoes on early calipers is a case of after the event tuning and I'll tell you why. From my experience, alloys shoes are only ever plastic dipped. Plastic dipped shoes (on steel ones originally and on all subsequent versions) were introduced to meet US safety regulations together with a curved quick release cam (and a lip on the front mech cage). So when I see a caliper with a straight quick release and dipped alloy shoes I think tuning.

z979":2pico72f said:
I think alloy shoes on early calipers is a case of after the event tuning and I'll tell you why. From my experience, alloys shoes are only ever plastic dipped. Plastic dipped shoes (on steel ones originally and on all subsequent versions) were introduced to meet US safety regulations together with a curved quick release cam (and a lip on the front mech cage). So when I see a caliper with a straight quick release and dipped alloy shoes I think tuning.

I agree, the flat bladed versions are early and came with non-dipped holders. The versions I've had have always been domed bladed and plastic dipped alloy holders. Velobase is useful but it does have some errors.

new drop!

lookinf for buyers, no experience required!

Is the crankset gone? I'll second dibs if not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back