Offroad challenge...ideas?

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So I hit the big four-oh next year and me and a couple of my lifelong friends who are also facing the same benchmark, are up for a 3-5 day bike hike! We would like to do an offroad trek with as little as possible time on tarmac, ideally not any! We recon we could cover around 30-40 miles a day and would be carrying all our camping kit etc. We would like to do it to raise some money for our chosen charities too, so something a bit special would be good. Ideally in the UK but Europe would be in the realms of possibility!

So hit me with your ideas or experiences! The more unusual the better as I'd like this to be "one to remember!"

I await your ideas, opinions and experiences!

Doug

Some sort of coast to coast would be my choice. I have looked at these on horseback, but not bike. There is one in Scotland that looked superb and I guess if a oss can make it, an mtb should be able to.

40 eh?

Youngster!

:LOL: Sholud be called the 40@40 challenge. so guess how far a day is the minimum?

Hi Doug,

I've just been reading in the latest Outdoor Fitness mag about four friends who did what they called a DIY Triathlon.
They started in Grimsby and cycled across the country from there down to Bournemouth and then a swim across to the Isle of Wight and finished off with a run across the island to Ventnor. (This was done on road bikes)

As you say it probably needs to be a memorable trip and the guy who organised this had family routes/history in all the places the group passed through. At least if you travel north to south you will be close to home.

A coast to coast trip would be pretty special where ever it is, how about across Ireland?

Chris

Hi mate,

I did C2C (Whitehaven - Tynemouth) a few years back, beauty of this route is there is a Trail/Road route and also a majority 'Off Road/Trail route so you can do it both on a road bike or MTB. Great camp sites along the way which can accomodate any budget, great facilities for bike storage and as its a well established route lots of support from locals if needed. A big plus is the many pub's, and tea shops along the way ;) Spectacular views make it a very memorable journey indeed :)

http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/

Jussa :D

Thanks for the replies guys, I knew you wouldn't disappoint! I think the idea of a triathalon would be pushing my fitness beyond breaking point! That and I'm shit at running lol! The coast to coast idea sounds fun...I live near Southampton bang in the middle of the south coast so Jussa I'll look at your route, but maybe incorporating a lap of the Isle of Wight! Or maybe something a bit less familiar so the Ireland idea may need some investigating...

...Plenty for me to be thinking on, thanks again

Doug

Back