The Opposite of a Klein Lover

sinnerman":2dq4iagu said:
From a retailers point of view, there were two types of customer......

Those that came and bought a Klein, and those that came and bought a Bontrager, both customers were totally different..., and to be fair it was the Bontrager rider that was always at the start of the ride waiting for the off at 8am on a sunday morning Regardless of the weather.

I have always liked Klein, but the above kinda always summed it up for me really.....!

There might be some truth to the Bontrager comment, but I worked in a Klein shop BITD and most of us rode Kleins. Rain or shine. Then again, we didn't look at them as bike art.

ez054098":2qznikc7 said:
sinnerman":2qznikc7 said:

Those that came and bought a Klein, and those that came and bought a Bontrager, both customers were totally different..., and to be fair it was the Bontrager rider that was always at the start of the ride waiting for the off at 8am on a sunday morning Regardless of the weather.

I have always liked Klein, but the above kinda always summed it up for me really.....!

There might be some truth to the Bontrager comment, but I worked in a Klein shop BITD and most of us rode Kleins. Rain or shine. Then again, we didn't look at them as bike art.

You asked for an opposite to Klein. I can only give you my experience from this side of the pond. But with that said, when in the Bay area I have to be Honest I noticed a lot more Old skool Bontys than I did Kleins to be fair.

sinnerman":3p928r8d said:
ez054098":3p928r8d said:
sinnerman":3p928r8d said:

You asked for an opposite to Klein. I can only give you my experience from this side of the pond. But with that said, when in the Bay area I have to be Honest I noticed a lot more Old skool Bontys than I did Kleins to be fair.

So do you think it is more frame material than aesthetics? If aesthetics, would you group Klein in with Mountain Goat? Both have pretty paint jobs.

When I had an IBOC in the early '90s, though I had many loves, the bike I lusted after was definitely the Attitude. To me it just looked fast. Never bought one, mainly because I was a broke photographer who was constantly moving and had to cart everything I owned in the back of a Toyota truck.

Now that I do have money I still probably would not buy a Klein because so many of the other bikes I really like are so much cheaper. (like the Wicked that cost me $600)

[/quote]So do you think it is more frame material than aesthetics? If aesthetics, would you group Klein in with Mountain Goat? Both have pretty paint jobs.[/quote]

I don't think its really fair to pigeon hole, but I think the Klein ownership was about both the Material and the paint.

In the first instance there was the WOW factor, the massively Oversized "coke can" sized aluminium combined with the Fork even seeming to dwarf the cannondale offerings at the time. then factor in the fluro White green and pink paint that was so seen at our race events, it kinda made a statement right there. Further factor in the Price ticket, and those with deep pockets dug deep, regardless of whether or not they could exploit its benefits.

Hitting the weight barrier here in the press at 20lbs ish, when other top end bikes were struggling to hit 25lbs, it was a marketing departments wet dream imho.

From this point on it was simple.....it was about weight through material and you got sublime paint to boot.

Klein was associated with this from the outset, sadly every company across the world jumped on board with the material/weight etc, and every where you turned Aluminium was everywhere, it just got cheaper and cheaper and cheaper.

I wont comment on Mountain goat, as it was a Niche here really IMHO.

Bontrager was slighty different in that they were available, they didn't rely on any advertising, or Trick paint or galloping scientific leaps in Aerospace technology to sell it, it was always considerably more underground (and constantly sold out I must add too).
It was skinny it was svelte it was Bombproof, and in keiths own words it was "Fundamentally Cheap".

Like I say unfair to pigeon hole really, but come the end of the Trek Era for both marques, there were certainly a totally different customer base for both brands.

They were complete opposites.

I am a de-klein. I don't like the oversized joke sized tubes The paint jobs don't do anything for me. They are horrible to work on.

What I own and ride have nothing to do with it

sinnerman":970dx80r said:
I don't think its really fair to pigeon hole, but I think the Klein ownership was about both the Material and the paint.

In the first instance there was the WOW factor, the massively Oversized "coke can" sized aluminium combined with the Fork even seeming to dwarf the cannondale offerings at the time. then factor in the fluro White green and pink paint that was so seen at our race events, it kinda made a statement right there. Further factor in the Price ticket, and those with deep pockets dug deep, regardless of whether or not they could exploit its benefits.

Hitting the weight barrier here in the press at 20lbs ish, when other top end bikes were struggling to hit 25lbs, it was a marketing departments wet dream imho.

From this point on it was simple.....it was about weight through material and you got sublime paint to boot.

Klein was associated with this from the outset, sadly every company across the world jumped on board with the material/weight etc, and every where you turned Aluminium was everywhere, it just got cheaper and cheaper and cheaper.

Bontrager was slighty different in that they were available, they didn't rely on any advertising, or Trick paint or galloping scientific leaps in Aerospace technology to sell it, it was always considerably more underground (and constantly sold out I must add too).
It was skinny it was svelte it was Bombproof, and in keiths own words it was "Fundamentally Cheap".

Like I say unfair to pigeon hole really, but come the end of the Trek Era for both marques, there were certainly a totally different customer base for both brands.

Very well said. Damn, I have to get me a (vintage) Bontrager now!!

futuristicoldman":1jkz5s43 said:
They're at their best when they scratched, sun bleached and chipped. At that stage they can be ridden properly and enjoyed.

Yet after 20 years, Steel is still easier to repair when they break, and are more forgiving as a youngman to ride, and GODs Blessing as an old man 2 decades later.

ez054098":13u4ghnj said:
sinnerman":13u4ghnj said:

Very well said. Damn, I have to get me a (vintage) Bontrager now!!

Im sure with your history, you will see and and Value its worth in your stable, and im sure once you have fettled it, and got it set up just right for you, it will be "That" simple bike you always return too, it wont cost you a lot and might become what we regard here as "old Faithful".

Attachments

• CAN OPPOSITES ATTRACT.................jpg
    CAN OPPOSITES ATTRACT.................jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 136
Back