Angry Drivers

NeilM":1s426qgx said:
Neil":1s426qgx said:
I spent some time in China last year. People on the road rush about like you wouldn't believe. "Gotta keep moving" is a kind of mantra out there. Drivers cut each other up, and try any and all means to get ahead and get an advantage. Bipping the horn occurs frequently. I didn't once see any anger, though - no rage, no shouting, no punishing maneouvres. Sure, there was a clearly perceivable do-it-to-them-before-they-do-it-to-you mentality about a lot of the driving, but they just didn't seem to take it personally.

And I'm talking huge big cities, with heavy traffic, and lots of people trying to go places fast - but all the same, people cut each other up, bipped the horn, sometimes with impatience or get out of my way, but no anger or rage that I ever saw. I'm pretty sure they weren't just on their best behaviour and putting on a show for the gwei-lo.

That is the difference, no anger.

I, like every other road user, suffer from people racing me, cutting across, brake testing etc, I also make mistakes, even on a bike from time to time, after all, I am a human to to err IS human. I am embarrassed when I mess up and get cross when someone does something stupid, but I never lose my temper because in the bigger scheme of things it is all pretty unimportant.

Maybe they're all seething inside, but don't let it bubble to the surface - or maybe they just don't let it get to them. I've discussed this with family over there, and the consensus seems to be practicality / pragmatism. They tend to be wanting to get somewhere, losing their cool maybe is perceived as not actually helping them - it's all "gotta keep moving" over there.

Yes, I accept, culture differences - but all the same, it does make the whole "Drivers in the UK are under tremendous pressure, in terms of costs, penalties, and time, that rage is a natural result" type argument seem a bit of an excuse. Whether as a nation or culture, some are very much more non-confrontational - but then, some of the explanations of behaviour by drivers, at least in the UK, being that they behave a certain way whilst behind the wheel of a car - perhaps somewhat empowered by the situation - in a way they wouldn't in real, face-to-face encounters.

Neil":38bjzvgg said:
unkleGsif":38bjzvgg said:
People have less time / more time constraints on them thatn 20/30 years ago

Why? Why do peolpe have less time / more time constraints?

Looking back to my parents generation, they, seemingly would have less time - a lot less tolerance by employers for "soft" things, like family / school / parenting matters. Plus a lot less drove, then - I can probably count on one hand (seriously) the number of times I was taken / picked up by school (infant, junior or senior) school by car. My mother never drove, and my father would have been long gone to work before I set off for school, and not home 'til around 6-ish, at least.

So why do people have less time / more time constraints than 20/30 years ago?

Dont be so pedantic and literal, Neil, I was merely trying to point out that "modern life", with all of its distractions and personal priorities, is more stressful than it was, say 30 years ago....

I could point to divorce and spreading ones time over 2 families, or stresses of modern work (leave office/get home 30mins later to have to deal with another inbox of "important emails".... mainly its just people dont know how to prioritise as much, and get increasingly stressed....

My childhood was the same, walked to school by mum as dad had driven off to work... collected again by mum etc etc etc.
Point is, now its all done on the school run on the way to work... "gotta get there in time, cant be late.... god, what is with all this traffic.... DAMNIT, little Sebastian has forgotten his Nintendo DS and is kicking off bigtime....>"

Its all the other saps getting stressed, just like you are :LOL:

oh, and you dont have to bold my quotes, I'm not shouting... there's a love ;)

G

unkleGsif":200nk01e said:
Neil":200nk01e said:
People have less time / more time constraints on them thatn 20/30 years ago

Why? Why do peolpe have less time / more time constraints?

Looking back to my parents generation, they, seemingly would have less time - a lot less tolerance by employers for "soft" things, like family / school / parenting matters. Plus a lot less drove, then - I can probably count on one hand (seriously) the number of times I was taken / picked up by school (infant, junior or senior) school by car. My mother never drove, and my father would have been long gone to work before I set off for school, and not home 'til around 6-ish, at least.

So why do people have less time / more time constraints than 20/30 years ago?

Dont be so pedantic and literal, Neil, I was merely trying to point out that "modern life", with all of its distractions and personal priorities, is more stressful than it was, say 30 years ago....

I'm not being pedantic or literal - what's so different about "modern life" that it's suddenly has more priorities, or is more stressful than it was 20 or 30 years ago.

I'm not getting it at all - I think it's just revisionist. I look at my parents life and don't think it was any less stressful, challenging, difficult or with less time pressures.

Tell me I'm wrong, by all means - but beyond power of assertion, what is it, supposedly, that makes life now more difficult or stressful, than it was 20 or 30 years ago?

I could point to divorce and spreading ones time over 2 families, or stresses of modern work (leave office/get home 30mins later to have to deal with another inbox of "important emails".... mainly its just people dont know how to prioritise as much, and get increasingly stressed....

Some people always had more stressful jobs, and still had to do stuff in the evening - it might not have been emails, it might have been phone calls. Thing is, for all the things that supposedly are making "modern life" more stressful or demanding, there are other aspects that made life harder back then - flexible hours / working was far less prevalent, working from home, flexiblity and allowance for family / parenting matters.

I'm not buying that life is harder - I think that's just what some of this time are telling themselves.

My childhood was the same, walked to school by mum as dad had driven off to work... collected again by mum etc etc etc.
Point is, now its all done on the school run on the way to work... "gotta get there in time, cant be late.... god, what is with all this traffic.... DAMNIT, little Sebastian has forgotten his Nintendo DS and is kicking off bigtime....>"

I'll accept, there may be some shift in profile of parents who work - but also, some do more flexible hours (like only work the hours kids are in school), you've also got to bear in mind, that a LOT more have cars, than in previous times had to make do with walking or buses. What I don't buy, is that there's a huge shift that's made life so very much more stressful and difficult than it was back then.

oh, and you dont have to bold my quotes, I'm not shouting... there's a love ;) G

I didn't suggest you were shouting, I bolded that line, because I was specifically addressing it, as opposed to implying something about your tone. So don't take the hump, pookie, it's unbecoming.

Drink some tea, sit back, and chill, Winston - and think back - it's not all so much more stressful than you think, it's just the lie that won't die, dagnabit.

Aint no stress or humps being taken round here, sweat-heart... trust me, I am the most unfazed and chilled out guy you are ever likely to meet (except Al, maybe, but then his Mrs has an Alfa... so that wont last long [his state of being AND the Alfa, obviously] ;))

Thanks for the suggestion of a brew, but funnily enough, my mug is never cold

Guys.

Remember the page ain't the place for rage!

Keep it on the road.

Things were every bit as hectic back in the 70s for parents, certainly in my experience. There was no such thing as being done with the day work wise. Lots of real things occupied the time, nowadays 50% of time is wasted on meaningless crap. We have all the tools to make things easier for ourselves now, it really is an easy life.

One thing is beyond dispute though, the roads were a hell of a lot quieter back then.

unkleGsif":fjcs229x said:
Aint no stress or humps being taken round here, sweat-heart... trust me, I am the most unfazed and chilled out guy you are ever likely to meet

I'm sure you are. No, really. Honest injun. I daresn't put that in bold, though, in case it trifles with your sensitivities.

Just kiddin' - my little joke.

<tumbleweed>

Uncannily, I've always found those who go to efforts to tell me how chilled and relaxed they are, really aren't, but want it perceived that they are. I am, however, totally, and utterly convinced, without a shadow (perhaps encouraged by The Shadow - you ain't him, are ya?) of a doubt, definitely, most certainly, never-to-be-questioned, that you are the exception to that. Of course, I could be completely wrong...

unkleGsif":1ds6k6xx said:
Neil... honestly... leave it sunshine.

Leave what?

Honestly...! Don't be so, um, stressy, and stuff...

As Flyer says, keep your anger for the roads!

unkleGsif":1ds6k6xx said:
Why do you have to be so contrary? :roll:

Why do you have to be so sensitive, sweetie? You feel free to have a bit of barbed humour, why so touchy if I do the same?

I admit it, I'm an angry driver / cyclist.

If it's minor I let it go, but if not I vent. I feel better to let it out than bottle it up.

Neil":2voqmowt said:
What I don't buy, is that there's a huge shift that's made life so very much more stressful and difficult than it was back then.
Debt.

A whole lot of people are trying to keep many more debt plates spinning than they were 30 years ago. Yesterday's news was 90% of new Mercs are 'bought' with PCP. That's a lot of drivers with monthly bills to pay for the flashy motor they think deserves to sit outside their Barratt box. Not to mention the box might be in negative equity etc etc etc.

That and being in constant contact/demand with so much connectivity. Phone, mobile, text, email, there's always someone wanting a piece of us.

And then the bank wants their payments and they're calling to collect which kind of completes the cycle.

I've been driving at 50 all week as I've got a spacesaver on that I haven't got round to changing since a blowout last week. I get overtaken A LOT. And I usually catch them up 2mins later. Fvckwits.

Back