29er mud/winter tyres choices and opinions...

makster":tu9ugswt said:
I had a lot of the bits already. I was using the wheels off of my then 'summer' bike at that time, but had to buy some more when I sold the Santa Cruz (the new owner was keen on it to come with wheels, which was a pain :LOL: ).
The forks were about £60.
I'd say that, including the brand new crossride wheels I had to buy, the whole lot has cost me about £300.
It'll be getting stripped down for a re-paint in the next few weeks as it's looking very tired now

Thats a reasonable price...but do you miss the front suss? Also with my 29er being 2X10 I still really need the granny ring in the shitty mud so would be reluctant to go 1X9? That and I really like m 29er and if I went for a winter hack would it be too heavy etc?

wookiee":2m4n7q6s said:
makster":2m4n7q6s said:
I had a lot of the bits already. I was using the wheels off of my then 'summer' bike at that time, but had to buy some more when I sold the Santa Cruz (the new owner was keen on it to come with wheels, which was a pain :LOL: ).
The forks were about £60.
I'd say that, including the brand new crossride wheels I had to buy, the whole lot has cost me about £300.
It'll be getting stripped down for a re-paint in the next few weeks as it's looking very tired now

Thats a reasonable price...but do you miss the front suss? Also with my 29er being 2X10 I still really need the granny ring in the shitty mud so would be reluctant to go 1X9? That and I really like m 29er and if I went for a winter hack would it be too heavy etc?

Miss it....I'm still getting used to having bikes with it :D
I went 1x9 for 2 reasons. Mainly I wanted to push myself to get fitter. I'm a stuborn git, and rarely used the granny ring so decided to take the option away completely. I'll be doing the same with my 29er too next spring.
I also wanted to build something with as few moving parts on it as possible, so ditching the front mech/shifter etc was an easy way to do this.
Even with an all steel frame/fork it's still lighter than my 29er, so I dont notice any difference there.

I'll show you some pics of mine once it's had its pre-winter make-over

Back