Bringing a Pre-War frame into the 20th century.

Been following this one too and all I can add is awesome work and job done, awesome looking bike. You've made an old vintage frame look very current and modern.

Thanks, the bike drew a lot of attention in Mammoth. Down in the village after my ride I left it locked while I had dinner. Came out and there were 10 or so guys standing around it checking it out. I am working on getting another frame just like it. Next build will have internal cable routing and v-brakes.

Not surprised. It's a beautiful old frame and looks great with the new kit on it. Looks really fast, even when stationary. Looks like a real mountain muncher. Great work on the frame modifications and I just loved the work creating the head badge. I think this project may have raised the bar on Retrobike. Makes me want to go and learn how to build my own frame.

Enjoy the riding.

Dead Rats just put me on to this (cheers Al!) - what a fantastic thread! Love the concept, love the finished article and how well it fits the brief, but most of all I love the process, thanks so much for sharing it!

Actually no, best of all is that you've finished up with something I'd love to take out for a serious thrash! ;)

It seems every time I do a build there turns out to be something I want to do different. I am enjoying this bike quite a bit but now I want to try something a little more refined. I have acquired another Elgin and this one is in much better condition. There are no pits or heavy damage. It had a minor dent that I filled with hot metal and sanded. Once painted it should look great. This one will have disk brakes as well as internal cable routing. I plan to modify a Tange tx-1200 fork with a disk brake mount and powder coat the whole thing to make a rigid street machine.

I rebuilt an older Fox F-80 and painted it to match. I spent $20 for the fork at the swap meet. $20 for a seal kit. I already had the oil and the leftover paint from the frame. Not bad and it rides like new!

Latest posts

Back