Chinese seatposts

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
John":3m0vuim5 said:
What could go wrong?

You're riding along on a flat road, eager to test it. Then you take a speedbump, the post snaps, you lose balance and your feet slip off the pedals, your crown jewels get ripped apart by the sharp edges of the post's remains, you fall off, get run over by a passing truck, etc ...

apart from that, It'll all be fine.

:LOL:

Bet they come out of the same factory as most x4 the price!

It states they have passed European tests? Request the standard they have passed and compared to others? :?

difficult to say but I have one of the Bontrager clones - the one below - and it has been fine, ridden it may be 3 times so does not prove reliability in any way. you would kinda hope if there as problem, the internet would have reported it - there was some fake Ritchey stems from china that snapped - pretty sure was posted on here in the retrobike foum.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251298476425?_tf=251299021887

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
daj":g2i3pxt3 said:
Bet they come out of the same factory as most x4 the price!

It states they have passed European tests? Request the standard they have passed and compared to others? :?

But are the built to the same lay up schedule? It could be 95% cross strand mat under a thin layer of woven mat for all you know. Maybe they used cheap polyester resin rather than epoxy?

As for the European tests, do you really trust that claim? 5000 lumens from a couple of Cree XMLs and four $1 18650 cells :facepalm:

I had a cast alloy head brake off a UD carbon post a few years ago , there was a small alloy tube used to bond the 2 sections together , anyway i luckily landed crack first onto the tire (bleeding mess) and then hit the road (tailbone grief still to this day) It was a Teschner Europro frame that came supplied with the seatpost , I think they were made in Asia and sold as "Dolan" over there ? my point is the specifics of manufacture are more important than the brand name or place of origin (edited with a photo)

Attachments

• seatpost.jpg
    seatpost.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 536
Surely someone on the internet must have bought one, so many listed on the 'bay?

Also took the certification comment with a pinch of salt.

One the one hand would normally leave untested chinese carbon, would certainly not use an unbranded stem. On the other hand no reason that it not be a perfectly usable item which may (or may not) come out the same factory as branded stuff. Only seatpost I've ever had issue with was a brand new Syncros, clamp bolt snapped first ride out and got the pointy end of a flite where the sun don't shine....

Personally I'd take a punt at that price.
Lets face it, plenty of us on here reguarly ride ancient aluminium and carbon frames and components that are probably well past their Use By date... 25 year old alloy handlebars anyone? ;)
This is probably less likely to fail than many retro-components.

Back