wheel building

You could go down to two cross and still get a stiff and good wheel, that would make your search much easier. To get the "dish" in the rear wheel, you need two lengths of spokes. and as a "newbie" I would not use any other than what calculations tells me too. Rear wheel not different to the front, other than you are lasing with two spoke lengths, that is what makes the rim center more easily. There are many ways to lace up a wheel, I for one lace both sides at the same time, others do only one at the time. I´ll see if I can´t find a video the I think does it a good way.

ok thanks very much. I understand about the different sizes. I will get 299 access 302. once managed to find then not sure about quality though. I'll build the front first and see how I get on.

cheers for your help, a vid link would be appreciated

this is pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwAoZ-ST0Bc

one thing that is VERY important is the direction of the spokes in the wheel. You have what is know as "Static" spokes, and "tension" spokes, tension spokes are the ones on the outside of the hub, the ones you put in last. It is critical that these spokes follow the turning direction of the wheel, so that if you are holding the rear wheel in front of you with the drive side facing you, these spokes goes from the hub to the left, and to the rim. Otherwise the rim is not correctly under load when driven. other things to consider, is starting right on the hub and spoke holes in the rim, are they in line or offset?

298mm sounds about right. I built a couple of sets of 27" wheels with small flange hubs and Rigida Chromix rims (which were basic chrome steel box rims from back in the day) and they used 298mm spokes with a 3 cross spoke pattern. You've got quite a lot of thread to play with so you can easily get away with +/- 2mm.

To give you an idea what a similar 700c wheel might use, a basic 700c box rim with high flange hubs will use 288mm-292mm spokes depending how deep the section is. Low flange hubs use a spoke maybe 2mm longer than a high flange hub - not a massive difference. Hope that helps.

Back