Hubby did 60 miles and cold bath

Russell":1fr2uf03 said:
Alison":1fr2uf03 said:
Question, do ice cold baths really make a difference to your muscles the next day?

No...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21477164

"ineffective in alleviating muscle soreness or enhancing muscle force recovery"

It makes no difference to 'muscles', but many people appear to enjoy a placebo effect.

Did I read that right? Whole-body cryotherapy at -110°C for 3 minutes? They said it had no affect on muscles stiffness, I'd have thought the onset of rigor mortis would be an affect on muscles stiffness after that treatment though :LOL:

RobMac":17zwzx2r said:
What treatment do you administer when you strain something?

Do you think that a 'strain', and exercise induced fatigue should be treated the same way?

I first started looking at the effectiveness of recovery treatments after reading "The First 20 Minutes" by Gretchen Reynolds. Its rather enlightening and was where I first saw the study that I linked to earlier in this thread. Since then, I've seen many studies into the effectiveness of ice baths and none of them offer any conclusive proof that they work. I'd recommend the book to anyone open minded enough to accept that some of the accepted 'norms' of exercise and recovery might not be so clear cut or stand up to proper scrutiny.

I ran the Bournemouth marathon on Sunday and felt no need to jump into a bath of ice afterwards. I'm walking fine today.

I've offered my stance and linked to evidence... You got anything?

Russell":d73xbnhq said:
I ran the Bournemouth marathon on Sunday and felt no need to jump into a bath of ice afterwards. I'm walking fine today.

I was listening up till this part :facepalm:
Did you do any build up to 26 miles?

Alisons husband did a 60 mile ride after very little build up.

Rob... You going to answer the question regarding 'strain vs fatigue' or quote a source that conclusively proves that ice baths work?

Yeah that's right!
I base my claim on real life not trolling the internet.
You could sit up all night on the computer and you'd find all the links you want 'for' and 'against' this method.

Back