Newbie picked up a Giant ATX 990

stinkitup

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone

I am new to the site/forum, although since winning this bike on ebay a few weeks back I have read numerous threads here and everywhere about the bike. Haven't really ridden much in 10+ years and the old bike was a rigid. Looked for some decent hardtails but my budget was 200 Aussie.

Picked this ATX 990 up for under 200 which seems about right price wise.

It was listed as a 1997 I think but I think it is a mix of 96 and 97.

It is the yellow frame with blue rear frame, has Magura 33 hydraulic rim brakes and I got a replacement pack from the owner with slave cylinders in it for spares which is handy.

The gold JUDY XC forks but it has englund/eko total air cartridges which seems to be a bonus well better than original setup if they still hold air from my reasearch.

I'm not / don't have the time for a "full" type restore but want to get it ridding well. I had a quick ride around the house when I brought it home and has no squeaks or squeals from the frame which is a good sign.

I have managed to find the total air instructions but I have questions about pulling these apart well more about lubrication and putting back together.

I am hoping to pick up a shock pump and some fork lube this arvo. Any tips on the lube?? Seems judy butter or slick honey?

Please bear with me:

When I remove the forks and cartridges I was going to clean them then I take it the cartridges need to be lubed before putting back onto the forks. I downloaded the white brothers manual as well at it talks about 30 cc of oil in the forks ??? When do you do this?? I take it cartridges scewed on then bottom of forks over the cartridges then squirt oil down the forks before sliding the seals down?

Then seals down lube stanchions (bit that slides on fork) and dust covers on???

Does sound right?? I am thinking of putting some air in while the carts are out and putting in bucket of water to see if they leak more than they should.

The only real other thing that 'needs' replacing is the grips they are super sticky now. Hoping with some warm water the grip shifters grips will not be so sticky either. It has the 800 x-rays.

Overall pretty stocked with the bike, I know it probably can't be compared to the newer FS bikes but will do me for a few years.

Ryan

Sounds like a nice bike, Im currently building a 1998 Giant ATX 970. Very similar to yours, sounds like yours had some nice parts on it....especially the Magura Brakes and the englund air in the fork. Slick Honey is apparently cheaper than Judy Butter and works just as well or better so I would go that route. Post up some pics I wanna see it.

Cheers I will get some pics up sometime soon.

Had an hr this morning so I pulled the forks apart, thankfully no bolts were seized or locked up.

Cleaned out the inside of the stanchions with a rag, they look good no damage/pitting or scratches internally or externally.

The air cartridges are very stiff, not sure if this is normal?? Should I be able to easily manipulate the air springs/cartridges by hand when out of the forks with no air and the air cap off?

Closed them up enough to play with the dampening adjusters. Not sure I did it right so will re-do with the document right next to me. Used some lube I have for other stuff on the stanchions and air cartridges it works wet and when it dries plus it protects from rust/corrosion etc. Will pull apart again when my pump arrives and drop some oil in each leg as per the white brothers manual.

Ryan

Back