Reynolds 531 Billato ?

m m at least we know the style of the 'B ' head tube badge is sound. thanks for that thread.
could not see if the fork crown was pantographed on the frame in question. perhaps a close up could be shown.
Its interesting that in 1984 they used a concealed rear brake cable the very same on my lemond glx 1993.r
but the frame in question shows an older[ planted on] along the top tube routing
i wonder if this is because it is 531 and there was a confidence issue regarding tubing wall thicknesses[not wanting to fabricate holes in an unfamiliar product] we know they used different fork crowns on the the gan s so they may well have used whatever bb shells they had at the time as well as lugs.

The fork crown is pantographed but not the head tube. Lugs have not the 'B' pantographed either. The seller is certain this is an authentic Billato, a special order maybe by the greek importer back then.

Some frame builders pantograph loads and i can see why now . their serial number's don't mean anything ,bianchi and gan lemond included.
Because the handling of my lemond glx is considered by myself
as the carlsberg i became interested in billato, their success is founded on build quality and delivery and they have obviously worked hard to achieve this.I reckon it is genuine... and perhaps one day we will know if it is reynolds 531 and if so why. Thanks for a great topic !

I sent a message to roberto and he sent the following - i asked him to confirm it was a billato frame

"Hi Dave,
yes it is .
thanks for this attention to me , I will follow up that forum."

daveplanetx":2fhyae4c said:
I sent a message to roberto and he sent the following - i asked him to confirm it was a billato frame

"Hi Dave,
yes it is .
thanks for this attention to me , I will follow up that forum."
Great stuff Dave.

Now lets all be on our best behaviour for while until he (Roberto) gets used to us. :)

Is it just a coincidence that his intials are RB...................... :!:

That sticker is supposed to be pre-1984, right? I´m not an expert at all in old bikes, and maybe they just used an old sticker for the frame...

yeah it is a bit of a strange one, an italian classic made from reynolds 531 , seller saying built 1985.
It looks in pristine condition so the tubing badge should not have required replacing unless its been re-sprayed.
but columbus badges are just as readily available and if resprayed and the trouble taken with the transfer s.
To then slip up on the tube id badge ??[h bar stem would suit a larger tubed frame, nice though]

Back