Reynolds 653 question...

531 pro

rBotM Winner
Evening all

I've got a Reynolds 653 frame, and I know 'technically' it comprises a mixture of 753 stays and 531 main tubes, but I was wondering...what are the forks made out of? Would they be 753? Or 531? And the 531 main triangle. Is it regular 531c or something thinner like 531Pro? And how is it all stuck together - 753 needs to be silver soldered at a different temperature to brazing, so where the 531 and 753 tubes meet (at the bottom bracket/seat stays) how does that work? Is the whole lot silver soldered?

Questions questions :)

There are lots of different views on this. None definitive as far as I can tell.

My 653 "Record" tubeset causes even more questions...

531 pro":2ntmb246 said:
Evening all

I've got a Reynolds 653 frame, and I know 'technically' it comprises a mixture of 753 stays and 531 main tubes, but I was wondering...what are the forks made out of? Would they be 753? Or 531? And the 531 main triangle. Is it regular 531c or something thinner like 531Pro? And how is it all stuck together - 753 needs to be silver soldered at a different temperature to brazing, so where the 531 and 753 tubes meet (at the bottom bracket/seat stays) how does that work? Is the whole lot silver soldered?

Questions questions :)

653 is what Reynolds called a"concept tubeset", and you're correct about the main tubes being 531p, the rear triangle in 753 and fork in 531c.

Although I have known all manner of mixes with the 653 label, but the above is the most common. As the tubes themselves aren't brazed together, they're mitred and rely on the accuracy of the mitreing and lugwork to fix them: the 753 tubes will certainly be silvered into their respective lugs but the others may or may not be (silvered that is).

That's my understanding, hope it helps.

Rk.

N.B a great deal of mythology surrounds 753 but that'll be going off topic.

Good question.
As mentioned it was a 'concept' tubeset consisting of various varieties of 531 main tubes, forks and 753 stays.

There seems to be a lot of confusion and uncertainty about it though. I spoke to someone a while back who insisted that it was simply an un-heat treated version of 753..
And what about this - Raleigh claiming that their Dynatech 2070 frames feature 653 Main Tubes, and 531 stays??! Unfortunately I can't find any English references, but if you scroll down to the Endeavour and Odyssey MTBs you can see it in print. http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/1 ... eigh91.pdf

roadking":w2pxdio7 said:
531 pro":w2pxdio7 said:
N.B a great deal of mythology surrounds 753 but that'll be going off topic.

Hmm, care to elaborate either here or on a new thread? I'm just about to learn how to build 753 frames so would welcome any interesting info!

Many thanks!

ferrus":3ati7tn5 said:
There seems to be a lot of confusion and uncertainty about it though. I spoke to someone a while back who insisted that it was simply an un-heat treated version of 753.

I agree there is a great deal of confusion, but clarity is needed and 653 being the concept set (and the mix it certainly is), means it should be confused with 753 - in any way.

I've been fortunate and had a number of framesets built for me, and always consulted with the builders: hence I feel pretty confident about the subject.

Jon.

Just out of curiosity........do Reynolds still issue licences to builders to use their tubes?

Shaun

From talking to Reynolds at the recent Leeds Bike Show (a VERY interesting half hour or so) the 753/531 mix of tubing that Roadking describes is correct. It appears that Eddy Merckx rode a full 753 frame in Paris-Roubaix and found it so uncomfortable that he said 'never again'. Reynolds therefore made up the '653' mixture to improve the comfort for him and the rest is history (or rumour ;) ). I was also told the story about why 753 is numbered 753 and why the badge is purple. Nothing at all to do with relative percentages of various elements etc.

According to Tony Oliver's book the 531 tubes in 653 are also thinner than 531c etc and made to the same dimensions as 753.
Remember that 753 is the same alloy as 531, but heat treated.

Back