Cheers from USA, Found this Dawes Super Galaxy,Brittish spec

Astrodamus

Retro Newbie
Hello gents,

I recently discovered this Dawes Super Galaxy, quite by accident a few days ago at my local thrift store.
http://www.bmxsociety.com/topic/57366-s ... ht-cranks/
Here is a link to where I normally hang out (BMXsociety.com) where the thread originally started. Feel free to read up on it there (so I don't have to retype and repost all the pics)
and then comment here if you wish (so you don't have to register there, unless you want to, which is cool too)

But here are a few pictures to whet your whistle ;0)
3bzr.jpg

5ybs.jpg

vrll.jpg

d9xr.jpg

xru1.jpg

0sa5.jpg

culf.jpg

iyao.jpg

fad6.jpg

Re: Cheers from USA, Found this Dawes Super Galaxy,Brittish

Welcome to the forum. Nice bike. Always good to see dealer decals on a bike, gives it a bit of history. What is the date code on the front and rear deraileurs? If they are around about the same time as the hubs they are likely to be original to the bike. There should also be a date code on the freewheel, if its Suntour, and, I think, the seatpin. Does the bike fit you? What are your plans for it?

I'll have to take a look for all those things tomorrow, it's 11:09pm (2309hrs).

A buddy of mine on the bmx board lives in Seattle Washington, I live in Colorado, he wants the bike to complete his collection of 60's - 80's Brittish road bikes. My daughter wants a BMX bike for Dirt/Vert/Street (not racing) and so we're trying to assess values I guess. I'm not trying to get rich, and I want to give him a discount, but before I can do that, I suppose I would like to find out what you think it would fetch in the U.K. market, and what (in dollars) you think it is worth here in the States?

Thanks for any info.

Tricky question, they are popular bikes and seem to hold their value. Do a completed items search on Ebay. If it was me buying it the fact that it will be missing its brakes, chainset, original saddle and mudguards will significantly affect the price. But then I like to buy bikes that are as complete and original as possible. Im guessing here but I reckon £100 would be a fair price.

Top of the range touring bike I'd guess around early 80s. As said above there should be some component dates which will give you a good idea. The Suntour Cyclone derailleurs are right for originals.

A tidy find with the drillium chainset but also a nice pair of Weinmann concave rims. Those alone would make £100 on Ebay, they're pretty rare and sort after :)

It should have a Brooks saddle and Weinmann centre pulls, its also a 'proper' British built Dawes before everything went to Taiwan.

hey thanks for tbe info.. yeah both hubs are stamped '81.
its interesting, and this is true for the BMX hobby as well, but one stands to make more by parting a rare bird like this out (stronglight cranks = 100 quid, rims = 100 quid,but the bike as a whole = 100 quid)

i had to recently part out a $4,000 26" Kos Kruiser because everyone wanted bits and pieces, bit not the whole meal :0(
(ill post pics of her later..im on my phone at the moment

Astrodamus":6eb11itb said:
hey thanks for tbe info.. yeah both hubs are stamped '81.
its interesting, and this is true for the BMX hobby as well, but one stands to make more by parting a rare bird like this out (stronglight cranks = 100 quid, rims = 100 quid,but the bike as a whole = 100 quid)

i had to recently part out a $4,000 26" Kos Kruiser because everyone wanted bits and pieces, bit not the whole meal :0(
(ill post pics of her later..im on my phone at the moment

Unfortunately, a lot of bikes are worth more in parts than they are as a whole but its always a shame to break something that is original. The irony is that someone will buy the frame and then possibly pay top price in their quest to find period correct original parts and get it back to where it started!

You could go either way with the Galaxy as a few parts are missing, but, you don't need much to get it back to how it was :)

Ha.. good point. I've done it myself.

Here is the Kos Kruiser I had to part out *sniff*

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 387
  • 5_KOS_Montage_borders.jpg
    5_KOS_Montage_borders.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 387

Well I suppose it will be for sale on ebay or ebay.uk or both, my buddy is having to budget due to our silly Govt. shutdown. (He was not paid during the shutdown but still had to work, how's that?..lol)

I would entertain any and all offers where buyer pays for int'l shipping and insurance against loss/damage. Please feel free to contact me via email or if you prefer to talk over the phone, please email me for my handy. I may be willing to part it out as a last resort, but I would hate to do that to this beauty as her patina has been uniquely preserved by being used as a roller-trainer (hence the missing weinmann center-pulls). You guys are the experts on these things, so feel free to ask me anything like measurements, but as far as specs, pedigree or anything like that I'm afraid I won't be of much assistance. If desiring to return it to stock, it needs a Brooks saddle as well. I used to have one on a Bassett cruiser too.. damn.

My email:
george(d0t)atkinson4( a t )gmail(d0t)com

I am happy to provide references, as I have been an upstanding member of the old school bmx hobby/community for a decade. This bike is not listed on ebay yet, but my ebay id is Astrodamus2112 if you want to see my feedback etc..

Thanks fellas, and I hope this is ok to turn this into a sale thread, if it fits better in a different area of your messageboard, feel free to move it.

-George

Back