My 1981 Gazelle Champion Mondial AA Dura Ace Ex

The bar wrap, like the saddle, is indeed a bit of an anachronism (and also a nod to ease and comfort, like the cheap and cheerful BB), but I wasn´t aware the cables are that different from the old ones. Is it a material, colour or diameter thing? In the ´81 catalogue they seem to sport very similar outer cables to these white ones.

Any tips for good bar wrap aternatives, I´m actually quite pleased with the look and feel of these fizik microtex, although the DA bar is a bit awkward to wrap tightly. I plan on installing a longer stem soon anyway.

I am guessing the original outers may be a pearl colour. I have been looking for them.

Richard

I might try looking for some vintage bmx cables as a budget solution. They tend to come in all kinds of colours.

In Rotterdam zeggen we dan: tering ziet er goed uit zeg!

Nice bike love the combi of the white and blue!

i think both cable housing and bar tape look awesome. perhaps the final adhesive tape could be applied more nicely, but apart from that, i would not change it. not at all.

Thanks again. Might as well show my ´Blue Peter/Creatief met kurk´ style dabbling in trying to mod some old jerseys. Goal was to display some local pride (green white green are the Rotterdam colours) and match the ride:

IMAG0346.jpg

IMAG0398.jpg

Is there any retro ride in Rotterdam? We could orgnise something. I know there is one, but it's like too retro, would be nice to do a gazelle meet up, or just a 70's-80's or even 90's retro meeting, and do a mid lenght ride.

Well, nothing specifically retro. There's the Tweed Ride you refer to, you could attend in 70s/80s gear without problems (one rider did). It's quite good fun, and not historically correct at all. The era it portrays never really existed anyway. Sort of 1920-1960 golden age without poverty, war or disease. The ride itself is very, very short, not a ride at all really, more of an errant. But still, good fun and a great atmosphere.

The biggest retroish event in Rotterdam I know off is de Ronde van Katendrecht, with many old top riders attending. It is a celebration of the classic old Ronde, although the bicycles and gear are by and large modern. Nothing would stop you attending in retro gear and I think it might even be appreciated.

There are also the Rotje Rond rides and/or alleycats, originating from the messenger/fixed guys and girls. Not retro, but again unless it states fixed gear only, you could probably take part with retro gear without anyone batting an eyelid. Same goes for events like Rot-Eind, a ride from Rotterdam to Eindhoven (I believe for teams). I hardly ever partake though, I'm more of a recreational rider.

Since Holland is quite small it's not that hard to go to other rides, like the Tour d'Historique in Haarlem, De ronde van Keent, the rides in the east that originate from the Stalen Ros people or even the Retroronde van Vlaanderen (well recommended). I only really go full regalia on these type of events.

Back