The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

Just picked one of these up(well, not quite the same, mine's got rotary pitch control and a fader) . "It's dead" is the fault. Sure enough, doesn't power up so I'm hoping it's something very simple like an internal fuse. Will get it apart tonight and have a look. Tell you something though, it's built like a bloody battleship!

Technics-SLP1200.jpg

one set 'died' on my 21st birthday when the volume knob was whacked up to its endstop and 'play' was pressed on the CD player. The speakers worked for at least 15 seconds before the amplifier clipped and went into protect mode.

The bass drivers were unharmed.

The second set were killed by a Linn LK280. It decided to go DC for no apparent reason other than the fact it was bored.

The third set is now just one working, one duff. I cant be bothered anymore. I might just buy a £69 sound bar and be done with the hifi lark...

Haha, dont do that. I may have a pair of 771s in gorgeous condition up for grabs. The tweeter may suit. Will be open to swaps :)

OK... The SLP1200B is no longer dead. I have replaced a 5V reg and a minifuse (soldered on fuse), which has brought *most* of it back to life. Everything now appears to look right, all switches LEDs light, display lights correctly - but, pressing play results in a big fat nothing.

I'm wondering if there are further ills further down the power supply chain as its a bloody complex bit of kit! I have diagrams for an SLP1200 / 1200KEK which I believe are the domestic versions. The one I have is apparently the broadcast version. The displays fill most of the upper panel, and there's a few more seek and cue options. Trouble is, most of the boards are subtly different, so I'm kind of flying blind on this one!

I could be some time!

The 770's are working beautifully though! Now very comfy in my listening room :)

1265073_10151890735807778_833701509_o.jpg

I've been half heartedly searching for a pair of speakers for a while now. After my 733's bit the dust I picked up a pair of Wharfedale XP2's, I used these for a while but they were a bit wooly and not that inspiring at all. I then found an pair of Wharfedale rear home cinema speakers from my old (pre wife) living room set up. Quite a bit tighter but not really all that good either. Whilst browsing I remembered that I'd given a friend a pair of MS 5.10 speakers in exchange for some random trade waay back in the mid nineties. A quick pm and sure enough he still had them tucked away up the loft, I offered a few sheckles but he graciously dropped them off the next day free gratis :) My audio experience has now increased somewhat spectacularly, these were the speakers that were replaced by my 733's and its good to have them back, not the best in the world and indeed a look about the net it seems you can get them for tuppence anyway, but they suit my listening needs down to a tee. At the moment one is sat on a printer and the other on cardboard boxes which I'll need to sort out, but still happy days.

Here's the SLP now the display works!

DSCF0015_zps55282760.jpg

And the board where I believe the fault lies...

DSCF0011_zpsd4d75167.jpg

...in amongst the other boards (the balanced output board removed to allow access, and the display controller boards not visible)! :shock:

DSCF0009_zps07ce2046.jpg

Speakers for old valve set up

After a number of years languishing, I've determined to reinstate my hi-fi setup; got it all out of storage, unpacked the vinyl, and remembered I'd sold the speakers (Neat petites - lovely but a bit hard to drive and bass light).

So am looking for some replacements, but as it's hard to audition s/h ebay purchases, I'm looking for some advice on what to get.

The amp is an Audio innovations 800 with a rose industries pre, so fairly sensitive speakers are prolly best but not that critical (I'm thinking 89db or higher). Room is fairly large. Budget up to 500 but cheaper the better. Preferably not black ash.

All of which brings me to this shortlist:

Klipsch 3.5 or 4.5: at 95db and with big bass drivers, maybe too much and a bit pricy
Ruark Talisman - apparently better than Missions?
Mission 752s Hard to find in light oak.
Mission 754s Intrigued - even look good in black.
Dali 505s unknown quantity but fairly cheap
B&W DM4s look sweet, how sensitive though?

I'm leaning towards the DM4s as they're cheap and look well built, but they are old now. Would appreciate any feedback on the others, or further suggestions.

cheers

Latest posts

Back