My Vitus 992 with C Record 8 speed

It was great to see this on the Gospel Pass ride. The photos are lovely but you really have to see it in real life to appreciate the quality that this bike exudes.

This is my favourite frame ever and the group is the most beautiful aluminium pieces that humankind has ever designed in the whole history. Absolutely superb.
of course, the saddle is the most confortable that I have tried in my life.

Congrats!

Thanks all for the positive comments on my first retro build...now get voting as its in the Feb bike of the month poll! :D

Well after a good summer on the 992, you'll see some changes have occurred - notably I've swapped out the Deltas for late Chorus monoplaners. Whilst years ago I really liked the over the top styling of the deltas, in more recent times - I prefer the less top heavy and more minimalist look of the Chorus calipers with the C Record groupset.

In addition, a summer of accidentally knocking the downtube shifters into the 8th sprocket when pulling out my modern day 750mm bottle was getting tiresome, so after getting some original first gen (1992) C Record ergos - my decision was made. I must confess to having a good think about this as my original intention was to keep the bike simple as my modern stuff has all the up to date stuff and it would've been nice to keep the retro...well..retro, especially as it was eventually fitted with the later curved C Record syncros.

Anyhow, the ergos won through and so they were fitted, I like them and the distinctly clunky yet precise shifting, they've really made this bike bridge the gap between modern and old yet retaining the ride feel....so a worthwhile upgrade...even if I've left a gap by refitting the old bar tape..it'll get new tape next year!

I've now got some very nice Omega V rims that I may save for when these CX33's get more worn.

Attachments

• n.JPG
    n.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 962
  • gg.JPG
    gg.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 962
47p2":1ppviigg said:
Nice updates, I like modern components on older frames.

Cheers All

All parts are actually in period terms, matched to the frame as the Vitus 992 came out in 1992 and all C Record parts including the ergos are 1991/1992 model year, so (even if by fluke) its actually what you could have walked out of a shop with back in 1991 (with exception of the CX33 rims)

The ergos (I think) can be identified as the first 1991/1992 editions by the bulky profile at the bottom of the lever as seen side on in the pic....may even get round to getting some matching bottle cages too!

Back