The one and only "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
chickenskin":3juoehtb said:
Hi All,

I've been told that I need to get rid of one of these. Any idea what they're worth, or in the case of the KHS whether it's worth stripping it and selling the bits?

1) 1996 KHS Montana Comp 19"

Fitted with:
Magura HS22 Blue hydraulic rim brakes
Rockshox Judy Race forks (circa 1999/2000)
Machine Tech Stem (think it's a 120mm)
Syncros seatpost (think it's 1st Gen 26.0mm)
Flite Titanium Transalp saddle (pretty worn)
Sugino Mighty 900 chainset
X-Lite bar-ends.
Tioga Alchemy? headset.
XT rear mech, LX front.

2) (apologies if this in the wrong place) GT ZR3.0 58cm

Standard (105 components) apart from Flite Titanium Gel saddle.
Look pedals

Both bikes are in good (7/10) condition, but could do with a good polish.

Cheers

John

Khs nice kit but as bikes don't go great price wise.. Maybe 170-200?

No idea on gt But I love it. Dont know my road values

The History Man":283608lv said:
Cast your eye over this then and give me a number

Without wanting to sound rude at all but as you have recently acquired frame and bought parts thats where I'd go from andf work back.

Guess about £300 based on being a large size, less market.

Why changing so soon chap? Not a fan?

ade":2fkcrvxn said:
*deep intake of breath*
I always swore I'd never sell this one, but due to a pesky one-in-one-out arrangement I've got to decide between this and another (modern) bike.

The frame's a classic - it was built by one of the framebuilders at Roberts for himself in '91(ish), as one of the prototypes for the Dogs Bolx. It's the same front end as the DB we know and love, but the back end was the same as the White Spider Comp. You can see the extra work that went into it if you take the bottom bracket out - the vent holes drilled in the shell where the seat and down tubes are joined are larger than normal to reduce weight, also it was never stamped with a frame number.

Forks are Pace RC35s bought second hand ten years back, so they're not exactly period correct. They've got the twin carbon braces and grease ports, along with the grease gun, a tub of pace grease and a spare set of springs.

The seatpost is made by Formula (of carbon bike fame). It was a custom job made for me by the guys there, using an American Classics clamp bonded onto a 27.0mm carbon tube, which I was told was the front suspension spar from an early 90s F1 car.

BUT. The seatpost hasn't moved in almost 20 years and is firmly seized in place. The frame could do with a respray anyway, so it's the right time to get a framebuilder to get the post out (hopefully with strict instructions not to damage it). Worst case, you could get the post chopped to where it leave the frame, and you'd be left with a good length seatpost if you're a bit shorter than my six feet.

The front wheel is original - a Mavic 231 rim on a '93 shimano LX hub. The nipples are alloy, alternating black and silver. The rear is a silver V-brake compatible Mavic 717 on a fairly recent disc-compatible XT hub.

Everything else isn't worth mentioning, Avid V-brakes, knackered flite saddle, anonymous bar and stem, single speed kit.

So go on, what's it worth then?

Value is in frame and forks obviously. So rare hard to say but I would pitch at £500 as it is. Might be out but that's my guess.

ade":1wtzqx8d said:
Value is in frame and forks obviously. So rare hard to say but I would pitch at £500 as it is. Might be out but that's my guess.

I agree that this where the value is, but 500 notes for a well used Roberts that needs a respray and with a seized seatpin - seriously?

I saw a decent condition White Spider pass through Fleabay in the last six months, with much better spec and it achieved barely in the high 300 or so notes!

coomber":2ay2paqf said:
The History Man":2ay2paqf said:

Without wanting to sound rude at all but as you have recently acquired frame and bought parts thats where I'd go from andf work back.

Not changing (ever) just due too renew insurance and have no idea of value. Got everything at good prices i think.

rjsdavis":2nlx7tbq said:
ade":2nlx7tbq said:

I agree that this where the value is, but 500 notes for a well used Roberts that needs a respray and with a seized seatpin - seriously?

I saw a decent condition White Spider pass through Fleabay in the last six months, with much better spec and it achieved barely in the high 300 or so notes!

Really? I dont have a clue, its quite a rare one. Maybe that was a bit high. I would try for £400 complete though, you'd hope to get £250 for frame, forks £70 or so, so complete £400 would seem about right.

The History Man":yfz0u1je said:
coomber":yfz0u1je said:
The History Man":yfz0u1je said:

Not changing (ever) just due too renew insurance and have no idea of value. Got everything at good prices i think.

John on here is selling similar, would go for roughly that price on the replacement basis, even if it is smaller. Reckon £300-350 is about right.

coomber":3qiy474x said:

Cheers. Do you think it would it be worth more in bits?

chickenskin":126unot0 said:
coomber":126unot0 said:

Cheers. Do you think it would it be worth more in bits?

You almost always get more from splitting a bike and looking at the decent parts on that bike I'd definitely say you'd get more that way if you can be bothered to do it.

kingoffootball":2xotclgt said:
You almost always get more from splitting a bike and looking at the decent parts on that bike I'd definitely say you'd get more that way if you can be bothered to do it.

Right, so next question, what are the decent parts - and what would they likely be worth? Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back