Who told me these babys wouldn't work! YOUR ALL WRONG !!!

retroking#1":2iwvfdls said:
Scant I like my brakes....... to stop.... thread lock..... a bodge.... on the real early ones they created the post and holder you could also get some with longer arms/posts ;)

how real early? propper real early the brakes were actually designed & built by boulder, onza later bought the patent. funny how you've had such bad luck with these? know plenty of others with no problems. bodge? yup, it would work tho :LOL:

tho, if you like brakes to properly stop get disc brakes. cantis are bolx in comparison ;) :LOL:

scant":2eo2e6k5 said:
tho, if you like brakes to properly stop get disc brakes. cantis are bolx in comparison ;) :LOL:

Quite :LOL:

Kind of defeats the point of keeping it retro though doesn't it?

John":3mat9ffs said:
scant":3mat9ffs said:

Quite :LOL:

Kind of defeats the point of keeping it retro though doesn't it?

nope! pro stop disks are considered retro & that was 1992 ;)

shouldnt really mention "properly stopping brakes" & "cantis" in the same sentence thats all ;) :LOL:

interesting thread, I have just got a set of these in silver, though the front ones are Vs with huuuuge long arms. weird. Look well chunky.

I was thinking of ano bolts, but prolly not best if there is a torque issue which needs a tight grip :shock:

The V brake versions were later. never used them so interested to hear if they're anygood? ... & yeh I wouldnt use alu bolts in them either.

scant":1ofsaess said:
nope! pro stop disks are considered retro & that was 1992 ;):

:LOL:

ever ride one? ever set one up? I've lost track of your original point as well. What was it?

scant":1ofsaess said:
shouldnt really mention "properly stopping brakes" & "cantis" in the same sentence thats all ;) :LOL:

Why? A properly setup canti works perfectly well.

now and again I think about changing the Pauls 'V' brakes on my orange for something more retro, but they work so well I can't bring myself to do it :?

yup, ridden a pro stop. never liked the annoying rattle of the rotor personally.

cantis in the wet on a decent length downhill/ gradient downhill dont work!
the point? retroking wanted brakes that work & cantis dont work very well in the dry, hardly at all in the wet! I dont see what the argument is, someone wants brakes that stop, I suggest disk brakes. Pretty simple.

when you come to wales & leave the flatlands of warwick john I'd gladly illustrate my point :LOL:
.... although even you've recently got a bike with disc brakes on, so point made yeh ;)

I learnt cantis don't work well in the snow, because of the icecubes that will be formed between them and the rim.

In any other condition they always served me well.

Never tried them, but I heard some very good stories on the HO's. Yo-eddy/Roy rode Christalp in very bad conditions with Campy RecordOR's and told those rule.

loved the look of those old campags. think a friend Tim still has a set on his grisley.

yeh its true you can ride any part anywhere & be pleased with the performance... that is until to try something else (usually newer) back to back comparision between cantis/ V-brakes & modern disc brakes; disc brakes are worlds more powerful....
tho this topics probs done to death by now ;)

Its interesting that some people have good success with certain parts whilst other despise them (Onza HOs case in point). I personally never liked graftons & prefered stock M900 everytime (back in the day of course :)

Latest posts

Back