Mantis…

is this really considered press fit? the axle with the bearing just fell out. the bb shell has a groove on each side to mount/hold the two circlips in place, which in turn holds the bearings in place. :?

as well, the silicone was applied only along the bearing edges on the inward facing side.

Pressfit refers more to the spindle / bearing interface than the bearing to BB shell interface in this case. But yes, I would still consider this press fit, maybe with less tight tolerance than say Klein.

so as if one wasn't enough… :roll: :LOL: ;)

big thanks goes out to timkrik for the assist. he helped me by contacting the seller, drove out and meet him, negotiated pricing and bought it on my behalf, and then packed and ship it to me from the US to Canada! top notch guy in my book! :cool:

more details to come shortly! ;)

Attachments

• DSC05907.JPG
    DSC05907.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 476
so i thought when i picked up the first green one that i had a lead on a useable shock, as the original was blown and needed a rebuild. that fell through and so i put the project on hold. then by chance i found an advert for an 18" mantis that looked in really good condition and started asking if the lower swing arm for the rear triangle were interchangeable. i was told yes that they were for all gen and sizes. i thought great, i could kill two birds with one stone as i needed a working shock and needed to eventually repair a fine crack on the lower swing arm of the rear triangle before it became terminal. upon quick inspection, it seems both top and bottom swing arms are the same length, which i find odd given different sized frames. I thought at most the lower would be and the top being the variable in the equation for accommodating larger frames.

real shame that this blue one is a 18" as it is in very fine condition. if my size, i would have just built it up and ride it as it's very clean, with little signs of wear and tear. not sure what the condition the shock is in yet. hoping it's in decent working condition, otherwise i'll be rebuilding two shocks. :(

if anyone can shed some details, i welcome any insight and advice. i know that i can send them back to noleen to rebuild them at about $100 a pop. i've serviced my Amp fork/frame shocks before and this looks kind of familiar, so if i can do it myself i'd like to give it a try. ;)

Attachments

• DSC05909.JPG
    DSC05909.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 457
The blue frameset came some fork uppers of unknown make/model. i'm thinking perhaps Rock Shox for some reason? can anyone identify what these are? stanchions look to be good so if i can perhaps use them and get some spare lowers to build this back up, maybe i can throw these back on to the Mantis.

Attachments

• DSC05915.JPG
    DSC05915.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 454
  • DSC05913.JPG
    DSC05913.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 454
  • DSC05911.JPG
    DSC05911.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 454
  • DSC05910.JPG
    DSC05910.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 454
frank---I assume you measured the length of the lower arm on the old one versus the new one? Much of a difference?

there's some other goodies that came along with the Mantis which i'll probably use with the build. a black 1" threadless Chris King headset, Control Tech stem and seatpost, plus some other nice bits that i won't get into. i have a nice black CT bar (attached to a unique CT 1-1/8" quill stem), which i've socked away for some time now. glad i never ended up selling them off as this would compliment the other bits quite nicely. just hope the stem is the proper length.

Attachments

• DSC05916.JPG
    DSC05916.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 452
Back