the Armstrong lie, a new film, looks interesting

Funny... that weasel never even crossed my mind when I read the post title, I thought it was some conspiracy about moon landings!

neil-Armstrong.jpg

Raging_Bulls":wuzm08cj said:

I heard tell that there was something written on a label on that seerrrinnnge. It said "Got here before you, bro. 7, count them, 7, man."

like cher says [if I could turn back time] but you cant;we need to get over this
he cant be made the scape goat for a generation of dopers ;they all did it move on nothing to see here :)

kenaltobelli":j1wpmft9 said:
like cher says [if I could turn back time] but you cant;we need to get over this
he cant be made the scape goat for a generation of dopers ;they all did it move on nothing to see here :)

You misunderstand me - I was just having a joke - I'm not a hater of Armstrong. In terms of doping, I largely agree, he is made a scapegoat / pariah for that era of pro cycling. That said, he didn't help himself, in terms of how he treated others around him.

Those serious character flaws aside, I don't hate the guy, though, I read his first book (It's not about the bike) and even after that, it didn't make me hate him...

wasn't having a go at you neil; just makes my blood boil that everyone singles
out Armstrong and contador walks round like a saint.
read most of armstrongs books filed them under fiction now :facepalm:
there s a lot of hate for Armstrong and he was a bad lad the way he treated everyone'
but you wonder about all the rest ie indurain :?:

All this armstrong issue really makes me mistrust sport now.
Its a real shame how people who lie and abuse drugs and act like heroes, until they are exposed.
F.w.i.w. I have no respect for armstrong.
Although i do respect his honesty.

videojetman":3ivbqlyy said:
All this armstrong issue really makes me mistrust sport now.
Its a real shame how people who lie and abuse drugs and act like heroes, until they are exposed.
F.w.i.w. I have no respect for armstrong.
Although i do respect his honesty.

Personally, I'm not sure it's his "honesty" that commands any respect from me - his hand was largely forced, he could have done one of three things: 1) somehow ducked everything and kept a low profile, hoping it would all just blow away (not very likely) b) carry on carrying-on and deny everything, and either look in total denial, or willing to predicate a lie in an even bigger way, and be totally detached from reality or iii) admit it (mostly) and try and play damage limitation, and see if he can use a bit of humility on camera to save grace, perhaps as currency going forward.

Yes, I'm cynical about how he went about it - but, as I said, I'm not a hater. I don't like how he treated others, and that was truly wrong. That he was taking probably what all the rest in contention were taking, isn't the biggest indictment to me at all.

The things I do respect him for, are being an awesome athlete, true determination and focus, and his balls - sorry ball - in that he did all that after fighting serious cancer that had spread from initial location to his brain. Regardless of how some will see this and entirely dispute it, I still believe he was an exceptional athlete, but more than that had a true drive and determination that saw him driven to win (perhaps with some casualties along the way, but then, what truly driven competitors haven't - look at Senna, Schumacher, all thought of as exceptional, highly driven, but some still harbour dislike or hatred for some things they did).

Latest posts

Back